Help needed identifying pendant - with a swastika in it!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
MIL was quite lucid this afternoon, and said her brother served in England, then Egypt and at the end of the war Burma and India. That lends credence to the pendant being Indian. Here are more photos front and back, and hopefully better quality. And then a picture of a photocopy of Chris in his Spitfire. Sadly the only picture we have.

pawl

Legendary Member
The Asian lady I shared an office with told me that the Swastika is Asian in origin.Not able to recall what she said about the difference between the Nazi and Asian way it is displayed As far as I can recall it was the way the the legs are arranged

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Asian lady I shared an office with told me that the Swastika is Asian in origin.Not able to recall what she said about the difference between the Nazi and Asian way it is displayed As far as I can recall it was the way the the legs are arranged
Doesn’t the Indian version represent the suns rays ? I think it should be displayed the opposite way to the Nazi version
In Hinduism, the symbol with arms pointing clockwise (卐) is called swastika, symbolizing surya ('sun'), prosperity and good luck, while the counterclockwise symbol (卍) is called sauvastika, symbolizing night or tantric aspects of Kali.
:rolleyes:

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a Swastika Stone on Ilkley Moor, believed to be Bronze age in origin.

Is there any indication that it might have been part of something larger?

Balyintegra

I remain unconvinced. I followed the wikipedia page from which that quote is copy-pasted and I think it might be bollocks. Swastikas go either way in Hinduism I think.

The following photos of a page by a Hindu religious expert will tell you all what you need to know about these.

Balyintegra

Two

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213-210733_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213-210733_Samsung Internet.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4

Balyintegra

Four . Regardless of backwards, upwards, leftwards, rightwards the history and story behind the op's post is lovely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213-210754_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213-210754_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
The pendant in question is gold and clockwise, so wealth. I wonder if Chris knew that or was it merely an exotic souvenir?

We will never know but the help, interest and information has been great, and as expected from the diverse CC members.Thanks everyone!

classic33

Leg End Member
The pendant in question is gold and clockwise, so wealth. I wonder if Chris knew that or was it merely an exotic souvenir?

We will never know but the help, interest and information has been great, and as expected from the diverse CC members.Thanks everyone!
Or as a good luck charm.

Top Bottom