1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed in bike-buying negotiations

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Twenty Inch, 14 Mar 2008.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Hi

I’m negotiating with SWMBO to buy a fixie off a member of this forum. SWMBO has refused outright, citing things like needing a new washing machine, our credit card bill, the upcoming costs for her permanent residence permit, and so on. She thinks five bikes is too many – she doesn’t know this would be my sixth.

I need help from you guys in coming up with arguments that will convince her. Give me constructive, powerful, undeniable and unassailable reasons why I have to have this bike. We have some fine minds on this forum, let’s see whether you can help me.

Thanks

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

If you think she's constraining you so much, you could just leave her. Obviously a new bike is soooo much more important.:biggrin:

3. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

There you go! :biggrin:

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Can't you fixie one of the bikes you have?
    Or sell one to finance the fixie?
    I really wouldn't put an extra bike above a washing machine, or cause unrest over it.
    JM2p...

5. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

6. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Twenty - your on the losing side mate:

5 bikes....

:biggrin:

7. walker

walker New Member

I think you added the wrong Smiley there Arch

8. simonali

simonali Über Member

I've only got one useable bike an one old one that I had before we met and my missus wouldn't understand me wanting another, so if you've already got 5 you should sell one or two of them!

9. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I have a mtb, a racing bike a tourer and a fixie. Just get on and buy it, if she moans chuck all but one pair of her shoes away, that'll learn her:thumbsup:

10. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Arch, it's not a bad suggestion thanks, but I'd rather keep the nuclear option until later, if she really won't capitulate.

Fnaar, that's not bad, I hadn't seen the big picture.

Doc, yenrod - come on guys, I asked for constructive suggestions.

One of my bikes is a frame only, the folder still has a bent wheel from the taxi incident, and the old winter trainer is going to be rebuilt for SWMBO. Actually, then she'll have two and I'll only have four, so that strengthens my hand.

I did try the "what would you say if I told you I paid £300 for a bike?", hoping that she would be relieved when I told her it was only £100, but she misheard me and though I said £100 anyway, so that didn't work.

11. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Have you thought of spraying all your bikes the same colour? Put one in the garage at any time, and the other 6 in the shed, safely away from her gaze. Eventually she'll get confused as you total bike count, go mad and then you can have her sectioned and removed. Sorted:biggrin:

12. NickM

NickM Über Member

You could tell her that MsM, a fine specimen of British womanhood, has 6 bikes (and a half share in a tandem!). It's even true :biggrin: Half of them live in the house :smile:

Let's see... best bike, winter bike, touring bike, hub geared utility bike, folder, turbo bike. And she hasn't even got a fixie :biggrin: or a recumbent :biggrin: ;)

13. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Maggot I haven't got a shed, but I've taken all the wheels off all the frames in the cellar, and move them around every time I'm down there, and that helps.

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

You are on to a loser, unless it's the same colour as another bike. How do you think I got away with a pair of Ksyriums.....they look the same as Aksiums :biggrin:...

Although I have discussed my desire for a new bike in a couple of years, and she's OK, so long as various bills are cleared etc.

The wife did mis-hear the price of a frame - £14,000 she thought I said....I said from £1,400 :blush:

15. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Actually I've just seen Buggi's slightly more constructive approach to the whole question and I'm feeling slightly ashamed (are you reading, Arch?)

Perhaps I need to undertake a comprehensive review of finances and identify cost efficiencies.