Help needed in bike-buying negotiations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I’m negotiating with SWMBO to buy a fixie off a member of this forum. SWMBO has refused outright, citing things like needing a new washing machine, our credit card bill, the upcoming costs for her permanent residence permit, and so on. She thinks five bikes is too many – she doesn’t know this would be my sixth.

I need help from you guys in coming up with arguments that will convince her. Give me constructive, powerful, undeniable and unassailable reasons why I have to have this bike. We have some fine minds on this forum, let’s see whether you can help me.

Thanks

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
Hi

I’m negotiating with SWMBO to buy a fixie off a member of this forum. SWMBO has refused outright, citing things like needing a new washing machine, our credit card bill, the upcoming costs for her permanent residence permit, and so on. She thinks five bikes is too many – she doesn’t know this would be my sixth.

I need help from you guys in coming up with arguments that will convince her. Give me constructive, powerful, undeniable and unassailable reasons why I have to have this bike. We have some fine minds on this forum, let’s see whether you can help me.

Thanks

If you think she's constraining you so much, you could just leave her. Obviously a new bike is soooo much more important.:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Can't you fixie one of the bikes you have?
Or sell one to finance the fixie?
I really wouldn't put an extra bike above a washing machine, or cause unrest over it.
JM2p...

yenrod

Twenty Inch said:
Hi

Thanks

Twenty - your on the losing side mate:

5 bikes....

:biggrin:

simonali

Guru
I've only got one useable bike an one old one that I had before we met and my missus wouldn't understand me wanting another, so if you've already got 5 you should sell one or two of them!

OP
OP
T
Arch, it's not a bad suggestion thanks, but I'd rather keep the nuclear option until later, if she really won't capitulate.

Fnaar, that's not bad, I hadn't seen the big picture.

Doc, yenrod - come on guys, I asked for constructive suggestions.

One of my bikes is a frame only, the folder still has a bent wheel from the taxi incident, and the old winter trainer is going to be rebuilt for SWMBO. Actually, then she'll have two and I'll only have four, so that strengthens my hand.

I did try the "what would you say if I told you I paid £300 for a bike?", hoping that she would be relieved when I told her it was only £100, but she misheard me and though I said £100 anyway, so that didn't work.

NickM

Veteran
You could tell her that MsM, a fine specimen of British womanhood, has 6 bikes (and a half share in a tandem!). It's even true :biggrin: Half of them live in the house :smile:

Let's see... best bike, winter bike, touring bike, hub geared utility bike, folder, turbo bike. And she hasn't even got a fixie :biggrin: or a recumbent :biggrin: ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are on to a loser, unless it's the same colour as another bike. How do you think I got away with a pair of Ksyriums.....they look the same as Aksiums :biggrin:...

Although I have discussed my desire for a new bike in a couple of years, and she's OK, so long as various bills are cleared etc.

The wife did mis-hear the price of a frame - £14,000 she thought I said....I said from £1,400 :blush:

OP
OP
T
Actually I've just seen Buggi's slightly more constructive approach to the whole question and I'm feeling slightly ashamed (are you reading, Arch?)

Perhaps I need to undertake a comprehensive review of finances and identify cost efficiencies.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
Actually I've just seen Buggi's slightly more constructive approach to the whole question and I'm feeling slightly ashamed (are you reading, Arch?)

Perhaps I need to undertake a comprehensive review of finances and identify cost efficiencies.

I'm sorry for being a bit snappy. I just feel that some people matter more than things.... Right now, I'd be happy to have someone to dispute how I spent my money...

Do you only have a joint account? I'd have thought the answer was to have a joint account for household things and your own budget for fun stuff, and then you can spend on what you like, if you have the money?

Top Bottom