Help needed in bike-buying negotiations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T
Arch said:
I'm sorry for being a bit snappy. I just feel that some people matter more than things.... Right now, I'd be happy to have someone to dispute how I spent my money...

Do you only have a joint account? I'd have thought the answer was to have a joint account for household things and your own budget for fun stuff, and then you can spend on what you like, if you have the money?

It's alright, you don't need to apologise. Of course Lena matters more than another bike.

I'm the only earner, so our finances are tight, esp. as the Student Loan Company have now started taking their money back. So any putative budget for fun stuff would have £0.00 in it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
It's alright, you don't need to apologise. Of course Lena matters more than another bike.

I'm the only earner, so our finances are tight, esp. as the Student Loan Company have now started taking their money back. So any putative budget for fun stuff would have £0.00 in it.

Ah, student loans... I don't think they'll ever get their money back from me, unless they drop the limit a lot..:blush:

So, you just have to work out a way for fun to cost nothing! Or very little. Most of mine comes in the form of reduced cakes from Morrisons....

OP
OP
T
We had some cookies from Morrisons yesterday. The mums' group came around and one of them brought cookies. I had already made cookies at 6am in the morning before going to work at 7am, and mine were nicer!!!

Surely I deserve a new bike after that? (Not that that's why I made them of course!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
We had some cookies from Morrisons yesterday. The mums' group came around and one of them brought cookies. I had already made cookies at 6am in the morning before going to work at 7am, and mine were nicer!!!

Surely I deserve a new bike after that? (Not that that's why I made them of course!)

There's your answer. Make two 700C cookies, add some tubes carved out of baguettes....

1) Deception

Find a willing male accomplice, who's other half is at least 2 steps removed from yours.

"sell" bike to mate.

Buy new bike... wait a bit... find a stunning bargain at "the tip"

2) Actually sell a bike

3) Find out what she wants, be it a weekend in Paris or a new watch. Obviously it makes sense that they be of roughly the same value!! Save up carefully for both items. When you have the money to afford both at the same time, do it.

4) http://www.spermfortickets.com/

I'm not going to step you through the process, but once you have done your bit, take your Reading Festival ticket. Pop it on Flea-bay with a reserve of £350 and hey presto.

4) Do the dirty

Fixie one of your existing bikes.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Twenty Inch said:

Why did you have cookies from Morrisons, when you had made some yourself earlier in the day? :smile::ohmy: didn't you make enough?

PrettyboyTim

Sell something else. Perhaps one of your already large stable of bikes.

At the moment I'm trying to work out what I can sell so that I can pick up an Xbox 360. As long as it ends up being cashflow neutral everything should be okay.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy Steel Battalion + controller? (for original Xbox)

1033581031.jpg

Abitrary

Twenty Inch said:
I did try the "what would you say if I told you I paid £300 for a bike?", hoping that she would be relieved when I told her it was only £100, but she misheard me and though I said £100 anyway, so that didn't work.

This sort of perspective trickery is the way to go I feel, except be a bit more imaginative.

Make out that some guys at work are going on holiday, team building or something...in order to get ahead at work and get paid more.

At first say it's a weekend canoing in wales. Then say it's changed to a week in spain. Then say it's a scuba diving course and you need to buy kit.

Followed by a deft reverse haggle.

wafflycat

Divorce. It's the only option. One can never have too many bikes* bike* bits, bike accessories... You're obviously married to the wrong woman...:blush::ohmy:

* the terms bikes & bike are used in the generic sense and refer to pedal cycles with one, two or three wheels... Could even be more.

Edit:-

I own up to having:-
road bike
tourer/audax bike
hybrid
recumbent trike

Mr Wafflycat has:-
carbon road bike
tourer/audax bike
aged racer for turbo
time trial bike

Wafflycat Junior has:-