Help picking first cycle road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First real question. I expect a lot more will come over time, but have to start sometime:smile:

Wife has kindly agreed (not sure how much this will cost me long term) to let me spend £80 on some cycle shoes.
Have shimano peddles with SPD cleats, and prefer the look of road rather than MTB shoes.

Tried some specialized shoes on today, so, using this chart http://www2.bsn.de/Cycling/shoe-sizing.html gives me a good idea what size I should order.

Have spent ALL evening searching the net, and just seem to be going round in circles looking at shoes.:rofl:

Need suggestions on what shoe people would recommend, or which to avoid. Also, whether to opt for 2 or 3 velcro straps, or even those buckle strap thingys.

Thanks in advance.

I managed to get a pair of high-end Specialized road shoes (sorry, not sure of the model) at an excellent price by spending ages on the 'net until I found someone selling last year's models. They have two Velcro straps and one ratchet strap, and are very comfortable and easy to adjust to exactly the snugness I want. Three Velcro straps doesn't work for me, and having had ratchet straps I would not go back now.

They are the second pair of Specialized shoes that I own and I find they suit my wide feet. Both pairs have lots of room in the toebox, which I often find lacking.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I believe (and I may be wrong here) that Specialized shoes are made to correct a valgus or varus, one of which about 85% of people has. If you happen to be the other they won't suit you. Sorry, can't be more specific than that because I'm crap at remembering things. Maybe it's only Specialized BG shoes, I dunno. Best ask though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
try Mavic shoes - these accept standard SPDs, and they run at about £80. Susie, my very much better half has them, and they compare well with my Sidi Ergo 2s, which are a tad pricer. And buy shoes you've tried on!

ASC1951

Guru
dellzeqq said:
And buy shoes you've tried on!
Good point - T'internet isn't a sensible place for your first set of shoes, even if you might save a few quid. It's also particularly important with any sports shoe to remember that what is a snug fit when you are sat down in the shop will be too tight when your feet are out there working. Whatever you buy, get rigid soles; at least a 3/4 plate.

I have done very well with my Diadoras. Old fashioned - lace ups underneath soft velcro straps - but they have lasted me at least 15 years of constant use.

ASC1951 said:
Good point - T'internet isn't a sensible place for your first set of shoes, even if you might save a few quid. It's also particularly important with any sports shoe to remember that what is a snug fit when you are sat down in the shop will be too tight when your feet are out there working. Whatever you buy, get rigid soles; at least a 3/4 plate.

I have done very well with my Diadoras. Old fashioned - lace ups underneath soft velcro straps - but they have lasted me at least 15 years of constant use.

Try them on in a shop, get the name and then search the internet that way you save money and get what you want!

Thanks for the responses.

Think I am going to decide between either

Bontrager Race Road Shoe 2010

or

Specialized BG Elite Road 2010

I am able to try both on locally (although different shops).

I have tried a Specialized shoe on for size, but not that model.

I know my budget was £80, but if you don't tell the wife, I won't;)

ASC1951

Guru
addictfreak said:
Try them on in a shop, get the name and then search the internet that way you save money and get what you want!
And what do you do when the shop has gone, because people expected them to provide a free fitting service but bought everything from box shifters?

ChristinaJL

I have a pair of the womens' specialized shoes - 2 velcro straps and 1 rachet. Comfiest pair I've ever had, comfier than my shimano mtb ones. :smile:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would go for the Specialized shoe everytime. Great shoes

Just be wary of the fact that what feels great in the shop, might not be so when your feet naturally swell after 1/2 hour riding. Prudent to buy a size larger

Jezston

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
And what do you do when the shop has gone, because people expected them to provide a free fitting service but bought everything from box shifters?

Quite. I used to work in a shop (not bike stuff though, whole different thing) that went bust because this increasingly became the norm.

Particularly bad as our pay was based on sales. Really, really frustrating and depressing when you'd spend ages helping someone one, finding exactly what they needed and they would say "thanks, just need to think for a minute" and then they'd leave, and go and buy what I had recommended online.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!

Top Bottom