Help please for a veteran cyclist from way back . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rebelpeter

Hello all I am seeking some help here but please reply in laymans terms as at 76 I am not familiar with the modern jargon.

I would like to know can someone give me an item number on e bay for the little cylinders I have been told about for when you get a puncture you put these on the valve I am told and it pumps your tube up and maybe seals the puncture to get you home, now I do need the item number as I am hopless of finding anything on ebay, and I need it for the racing type valves as that is what I have on my vintage racers, the small none car type.

gavintc

Guru
I think you need either of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pdw-magic-flute-mini-pump-with-co2-and-bracket/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-trigger-speed-drive-co2-inflator-black/

Personally, I would prefer the one with a pump as this allows you to inflate when you are out of gas.

Whole bunch of them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...o2+infla&_nkw=co2+inflator&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Jon2

Might be worth noting that those things listed by gavintc are CO2 inflators, they will pump you're tyre up in 5 seconds but they won't seal any punctures.

buggi

Bird Saviour
as said, you must remember, the sealant and the CO2 cartridges do different jobs. they are not one and the same.

CO2 cartridges need an inflator (so they fit your valve, and so you don't touch the cartridge when it is discharging, as it goes ice cold and can stick to your hand). different cartridges inflate to varying pressures, so you need to check the pressure of the cartridge you are buying. some cartridges are threaded and some are non-threaded. Some inflators take both types, some only take one type. so you need to ascertain that when you buy the inflators and cartridges to make sure they are compatible.

an inflator that doubles as a pump, as above, is a good idea, just in case you accidently discharge the cartridge, which is easy to do as they discharge within about 2 seconds (this is the time it takes to inflate the tyre with them, so even a short spurt can discharge a lot of the CO2.

If you get a puncture and inflate the tyre with CO2 when out on the road, remember to discharge the CO2 from the tube when you get home and reinflate with normal air, as CO2 is thinner and will seep out through the tube over the next 48 hours (making you think you have another puncture!). If you discover the puncture at home, use a normal pump to inflate, not your CO2.

if you are struggling to pump your tyres up to pressure, because you are 76, and this is why you want CO2 then you may go through more cartridges than the average person as you will need to reinflate a lot! better to get your offspring/friend/neighbour to pump your tyres up with normal air.

Some inner tubes already have sealant in them (they are usually called slime inner tubes) but i don't find them much cop, so i doubt the sealant in a can is much better. however, i've never used it so someone may correct me.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Thanks for your replies Gavintc seems they do not reseal the tube then am I right to say the CO2 just pumps the tyre up but does not seal the uncture thenm if so may as well just have a pumo with me is this right.

John and Buggy I am ot really clear about this really does the gas cylinder just pump the tyre up and nothing more can you then get these to pump the tyre and something else to inflate it,

No worries about pumping I am one if the older guys that is fit and active I ride and use a stop watch to do my small route ride which is about 5.5 miles.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Peter,

The gas cylinders just pump up the tyre, they do the same job as an ordinary pump, so will not seal a puncture.

If you want to try sealant, you have two options.

Apply sealant from a bottle, then pump up the tyre with a gas cylinder or an ordinary pump.

Or use a gadget that combines both, such as this one:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/zefal/sealant-spray-with-mount-100ml-ec039470

This will apply sealant and pump up the tyre.

It's much bigger than a gas cylinder and like all sealants, there are mixed reports about whether it works or not.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Hey thank you Pal Rider (great film), so really these gas cylinders do what any pump can do, so if you get a puncture all I will do is inflate the tube what a pump can do as it does not seal the tube hardly seems worth buying them a mini pump would be better I guess and if its a slow puncture it could get you home,

I just thought maybe worth getting a sealant though I am never that far from home 20 miles maybe and can text the wife who can come and collect me and the bike if I get a flat tyre what happened yesterday, many thanks for your help I guess what I thought was one of them small cylinders would inflate the tyre and seal it as well, which they don't do so I guess a mini pump is best and if it goes flat to quick get the wife to collect me, I am riding and old vintage Phillips Premier in good condition and I do like the old type of bikes and the gears on the down bar which I guess is not that popular these days wiith you modern bikers.

I have also 2 old Raleighs ones a Rapid and an old BSA Tour Of Britain but I do have a modern Trek but guess I prefer riding the old ones really, oh yes and i also have an Elswick racer rides well too.

Any suggestions or preferable links where I can buy decent tyres maybe the Kevler ones I hear resist punctures. Ebay links would be appreciated. most of my bikes have 700 sizes think one may have 27" tyres.

Thanks to you all.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another vote for the older bikes here, I have four drop bar bikes with one from good old Dawes. The Gatorskin tyres by Continental are quite popular with people on here although they are expensive. Another solution you could try is some "slime" tubes which means you can keep your tyres. They are filled with a green gunge which plugs the hole. I don't have much of a problem myself which is strange considering the roads down here are much worse than yours!

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Another vote for the older bikes here, I have four drop bar bikes with one from good old Dawes. The Gatorskin tyres by Continental are quite popular with people on here although they are expensive. Another solution you could try is some "slime" tubes which means you can keep your tyres. They are filled with a green gunge which plugs the hole. I don't have much of a problem myself which is strange considering the roads down here are much worse than yours!

Hello there Cycleops so you too like the old racers thought i was the only one,
i had a dawes too recently i have a Raleigh Router with a 5 inch frame immaculate condition.. ..

Gatorskin tyres now never heard of these and hope they are not from what the name suggests, i do
like alligators, but anyway what is special about them the are they less likely to puncture.

Slime sounds good does this as you say plug the hole also can you get them for the racing bike valves
saw some for mountain bikes any idea price wise, sounds good idea to me i live in a very rural
area all country lanes but they seem to like trimming hawthorne hedges and so the thorns are
a problem here i am in Essex near to Bradwell area very rural.

i went to a bike shop today in Wickford and they had new moder racers with the gear levers
on the down tube like the old ones are i was really surprised but i prefer them there anyway.

They had a few new racers from about 250 to 375 looked quite good too.
I like my old Philips Premier in good condition too, i just look out for them and do them up
hence i have about 6 racers but one is modern a Trek.
i will het some slime thanhks for the help and maybe yo9u can telll me more about these
Gator tyres . . . .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't really tell you much about the Gatorskins I'm afraid as I have never found any down here, but I expect they have a Kevlar belt or similar running through which gives it the puncture resistance. Most tyres come in either wire bead or folding types, just to let you know most folding ones are a real b****** to get on. You will find some modern racers still have shifters on the down tubes but the preferred option now is for "brifters", combined brakes and gear shifters. Not really a new thing as I have them on a twenty year old Giant. Check out the Vintage and Classic section if you are into older bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I got some pro4 endurance folding tyres, about £26 a tyre, meant to have good puncture resistance. I got both on with no issues at all, in under an hour - I wasn't rushing and I have never put new tyres on a bike (and had only ever fixed one puncture previously). I thought folding tyres are easier to fit? :wacko:

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Can't really tell you much about the Gatorskins I'm afraid as I have never found any down here, but I expect they have a Kevlar belt or similar running through which gives it the puncture resistance. Most tyres come in either wire bead or folding types, just to let you know most folding ones are a real b****** to get on. You will find some modern racers still have shifters on the down tubes but the preferred option now is for "brifters", combined brakes and gear shifters. Not really a new thing as I have them on a twenty year old Giant. Check out the Vintage and Classic section if you are into older bikes.

Hello cycleops thanks for the tips folding tyres huh wow never heard of them but thank you
for letting me know they are a pain to put them on, i guess a set of Kevlers and some of that
slime sounds good to me i have the shifters on the brakes on the Trek but prefer the down tube for them.
i will look at the vintage section thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom