Help to identify my vintage Raleigh please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SF959

Regular
If it has a Brooks B66 saddle (? Two big springs at the rear?)
A fork steering lock and Dynohub lighting system fitted ... does that make it a Raleigh 'Superbe'?
See screenshot from Sheldon Brown phenomenal website.
Also I can't make head-nor-tail of the frame identification information on that site. Perhaps it is a 1961 production?
But hub number (if it is the correct one I have photographed) begins with 59? (So 1959? Or wrong number and I need to re-inspect the hub?)
Confused!

Attachments

• IMG_4326.PNG
    IMG_4326.PNG
    173.2 KB · Views: 85

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I's not a B66, this is one of those,

brooks-b66-saddle-brown-EV230017-8000-3.jpg

the saddle is a sprung 'mattress' type (cheap)

Rear hub is a 59 which fits with my initial 'guesstimate' although the transfer from a shop that didn't exist post WW2 is strange, maybe the back whel and mudguard were replaced in 59 and a new 'cheap' saddle fitted.

classic33

Leg End Member
55 Sankey Street today, ZipYard is 55
Note the style of the buildings at either side of the picture.
55 Sankey Street.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
It does look like the 59 'Dawn' model, even down to the seat.
And the accumulator & B66 saddle!

Now if we can explain the shop badge/decal. And why it's not Raleigh Green.

@SF959
Patent Number is 593189, but there should be other numbers alongside the Sturmey Archer logo, a double digit one, with a single digit/letter below it.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Once again that isn't a B66 on the OP's bike.
I meant it's showing as having been supplied with one. Your picture was just to clean.

I'm interested in the decal at the top of the accumulator though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SF959

Regular
Hello

Thank you all very much for your time and effort!

Absolutely outstanding: Thank you!

Well my initial thoughts are that the plot thickens and you are all wonderful 'detectives"!

I know absolutely nothing about vintage bikes and honestly thought that the members would have identified the bike in an instant, purely from the photos.

Clearly it is not as easy as I first thought.

I would say that the bike, to my untrained eyes, clearly looks totally original. But you are the experts.

It is definitely black not green.
It has three not four gears.
It looks totally original throughout to me.
It has clearly been well cared for by its former owner.
The bell is engraved 'Skelton & Son' which is a nice touch... but probably no unusual to you?

Classic33 you mention 'accumulator'?
What is an accumulator please?
And the decal of interest?
I will take another photo if required?
And I will take another look at the rear hub. I have to say a little bit of WD and rag to clean the years of grim off it and the hub came up like brand new!
Difficult to see the numbers though but I will check it again following your recommendations where to look.

Looking at the vintage cycle ads and specs is the seat then the cheaper B22 model?

I was hoping for it to be easily quickly DEFINITIVELY identified but that clearly hasn't been the case.
Obviously a tricky one even for you aficionados!
I would say nothing has been changed from new ... it just has that feel about it ... if you know what I mean?
I have had many Lambrettas in the past and one can generally tell what has been 'played with' or is original. But vintage cycles is another world!

Once identified I will need your kind guidance (and pictures etc) of what would be the correct, appropriate period:
Raleigh ((Industries?) pump to find and buy?
Brooks or other worn vintage saddle bag to find and buy
Vintage rear rack?
And vintage U-Stand/W-Stand to fit to the rear wheel ( decided against fitting kick-out Raleigh alloy stand after good advice on this post that it will fall over!)?

I am going to order new Raleigh Record tyres (and new tubes) of the Internet when I get chance. Seems like there are a lot on eBay etc.
Intended to fit all-black tyres but unsure now as your posts indicate it may have come with Dunlop white-walls? Or perhaps amber/gum walks?
So confused!
But a big thank you all who have taken the time and trouble to reply for your kind expert consideration of my post and excellent advice given: appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member
The accumulator is the piece on the seat post with the wires coming out. Yellow sticker above that is the one I meant.

On one of the pictures posted, it actually says what pump came with it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SF959 i would say frame number is 35943af , the date code on the hub is normally a single or double figure for the month and a double one for the year ie 59 6 which would be 6 month of 1959 and is normally placed under or around the Sturmey Archer script , the number you show is the patent number .

I have this bag from Ken the Tandem if its any good to you it needs a couple of new rivet each end of the metal support along the top , i cant remember what make it is but wont be far of from a period point of view .

I just use normal 700 c x 25/28 Presta valve type tubes they and work no issue's just avoid the cheap ones . Tyres would have been black walled

see this link for frame number info http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#47

Keep having fun and most of all enjoy it and before long you will have a garage full of bikes ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
@SF959 i would say frame number is 35943af , the date code on the hub is normally a single or double figure for the month and a double one for the year ie 59 6 which would be 6 month of 1959 and is normally placed under or around the Sturmey Archer script , the number you show is the patent number .

I have this bag from Ken the Tandem if its any good to you it needs a couple of new rivet each end of the metal support along the top , i cant remember what make it is but wont be far of from a period point of view .

I just use normal 700 c x 25/28 Presta valve type tubes they and work no issue's just avoid the cheap ones . Tyres would have been black walled

see this link for frame number info http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#47

Keep having fun and most of all enjoy it and before long you will have a garage full of bikes ^_^
Now you turn up!!

Top Bottom