Help to identify my vintage Raleigh please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SF959

Regular
@roadrash
Thanks for the information regarding that stand.

Please see above post.

The stand in your link is very much like the ones I have seen on council owned 'City Bikes' about town.
Looks good, probably very stable but too modern looking I think. I think it would look wrong on this old bike.

Thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member
@SF959, when I said no further records after 1944, I meant with regards birth/marriage records.

He, Arthur J. Skelton was only 25 in 1938. Assuming they were still gunsmiths, chances are he'd have been in a reserved occupation during the Second World war(muntions), which would have meant bikes took a back seat.

The cap on the accumulater may be lead, cheap and easy get a fairly waterproof seal. Inside that should be the plastic cap. Bakelite may well be brittle with age. What state the dry cells, if they're still there, are in, is anyones guess. I'd have paper and a plastic bag underneath it when opening it.

I'd go with the Raleigh Sports Tourist, given the frame size and the wheel size(26 inch not 28 inch).

Remember "Skelton & Son" would have placed their own dealer details on the frame. Just as many shops do today. I'm unable to explain/give a reason for why a pre-war decal is on the frame.

Don't forget I'm not the only one putting ideas up/posting information. A question as to why it should be that, can send you looking elsewhere. It did here.

classic33

Leg End Member
@roadrash
Thanks for the information regarding that stand.

Please see above post.

The stand in your link is very much like the ones I have seen on council owned 'City Bikes' about town.
Looks good, probably very stable but too modern looking I think. I think it would look wrong on this old bike.

Thank you.
Some of those bikes use modern versions of the older type racks & stands. Due simply to their stronger design.

If you look at the picture above the accumulator, you'll see what appears in some ways to be a fairly modern looking rear rack. If you look near the bottom bracket you can make out the mount for a side kickstand. Both on a restored version.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SF959

Regular
And further to the last ...
Does anyone know where I may get a stand like the one in the photos I uploaded?

I have tried the websites of the suggestions by @mjr but drawn a blank.

Nothing on uk eBay.

One on eBay.com last time I looked but in USA and a modern repro? Shipping AND Import Tax Duty on top of purchase price make purchase outside Europe too expensive.

Reproduction exactly to original spec?

Someone in Europe must sell them?!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Then the problem would be it's not the sort of stand used with the bike.
Ah but,

@mjr

Thanks for your help and the link attached. Certainly something to think about and not far off what I want.

Perhaps too shiny. Too modern-looking? I'd have to get it painted or powder coated black though.

I expect the rear wheel stand to be heavy so that's not a problem.
I want the functionality of a stand.
Light weight is not really a fear for this bike... it's a vintage cruiser for dry warm days on short trips/rides.

Thanks for the dealer suggestions to check out when I have time. I wasn't aware of them and wouldn't have had a clue so that is very helpful indeed.

I have attached some photos of the stand on my friend's bike (28 inch wheels on that bike).

Proper vintage looking and would, I think, suit my old Raleigh?

Anyone with a better suggestion I welcome your input.

Thank you.

That is the type of stand he was looking for.

Top Bottom