Help! Totally Demotivated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
For the first time in 4 years of returning to biking I appear to have lost my mojo! I think I know why. A combination of a loss of fitness caused by 3 months off with depression which means that I don't seem to be able to commute more than 2 days on the trot. The weather isn't helping, but that hasn't stopped me before. Even my Paddywagon is sitting there waiting for a complete rebuild and I can't be ar$$ed to get it done! Really fed up at the moment! I want to ride, it seems the slightest excuse means I can't swing my leg over the saddle.

+1 matey :sad:

I know if I make the effort I'll feel better for it, but I just can't seem to get my @rse in gear either.

As you say the weather is a bitch, and the general time of year certainly doesn't help either.

Maybe just commute the couple of days you're managing for now, then introduce a third day, fourth day and so on as you get back into it.

Also try mixing your route up so you're not just riding the same way every day.

Damn, I might have to listen to my own advice and get back to it myself :whistle:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I lost my mojo at the end of last year. I'd say the first thing is don't worry about it. How do you commute if not by bike? I was lucky in a way that my only other way to work is by train and I HATE using Southeastern trains, they are truly awful. So I managed to carry on commuting by bike cos it was less bad than the train.

I also asked for advice on here. That varied from have a total break to cycling in a completely different way (not quickly, no specific route) to just getting out and doing it. Most of what I did was cut out my long distance stuff. Friends were understanding and still invited me but weren't too critical when I was a no show.

It all seems to have worked and I'm back to my old self, chafing to get out today even though it's raining. I'm sure you'll get yours back soon and once it starts to come back it does so quickly

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Commuting by bike two days a week is still two days more than 99.9 per cent of the population, so you are hardly a non-cyclist.

In other words, don't look at it from what you were doing, look at it from a starting point of no cycling, in which case you are doing pretty well.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I have similar (but in a much smaller way) if I haven't been jogging or cycling for a while. As Martin says, one way is just to do it but without targets - i.e. if you are feeling slow, go slow and don't worry about it. The only target being to get out, NOT to do x miles or average y speed.

Good luck. Hopefully some of your problem will pass when (if?) the weather improves in the spring...

Sorry to hear that, Vike!

I'd suggest, if you can and are still off work, then get a cheapie last-minute holiday to the south of Spain or somewhere close-ish and warmish, to get some light, colour and heat on your bones. Then, if you feel motivated, rent a bike out for a day or so. It could be the tonic you need.

And so spring isn't too far away either when you get back. :sun:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Me too. In November my wife pulled a muscle and couldn't drive - so I had to drive her (and myself) to work for three weeks; immediately afterwards I noticed my complete drivetrain had to be changed - that cost me another two weeks; then the snow; then, when the snow melted, I slipped on black ice and had to wait to get my clothes repaired and the arrival of broken bike parts; now it's the wind. This autumn/winter has been rubbish for me! Now, I too, am finding the idea of cycling 60 kms a day too much effort. Guess the thing to do is wait for better weather and get back into it slowly.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have an idea, don't if it would work, but: get your friends to come over and generally nag, harass and hassle you until you get on the bike just to get them to leave you the hell alone. In other words, use them as your personal trainers.

Hope you manage to shake it off, Vike. I've been there a few times, and not cycling even for short periods leaves me pretty depressed.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I find that going for a hard pleasure ride at the weekend helps me when I am lacking motivation with commuting. I know Lincs is not hilly, but I normally go up into the Pennines for this sort of challenge. I still need to get myself in the right frame of mind to do it, but it does seem to help me get my mojo back.

GlenBen

Über Member
How about stop commuting for now, just go for a slow bumble around the county when you have a day off, no targets or fitness riding etc, just go slow and enjoy yourself. That usually shows me how much I love my bike. I do enjoy commuting, but occasionally I also go through patches where its just too cold/wet/dark/windy etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
'Glad it's not just me' is not a nice way of putting it, but...
Ive been there before and if you get even the smallest idea of getting out there, just do it, make the most of that flicker of an idea, i always found once i'd actually gotten out, i felt sooo much better.
Its not a cure, you don't suddenly want to get out there every chance, but it keeps the embers glowing.

Don't pressure yourself, don't set out to do big miles or do it fast...just get out there and enjoy a 'bimble' as said earlier.

I'm in the same position now. 18 miles cycled since the new year :ohmy:..a bad chest infection saw me off the bike for 2 weeks, now i'm off work for a couple days with possibly the flu or some virus thats left me feeling like the tanks empty, heart rate up, hot n cold, and on top of that ive got urtacaria (or hives), fiendishly itchy rash that swells over whole patches of your body.

2012 was a bad cycling year for me, 2013 hasnt started very well, but if i think over the last 15 years of cycling, its happened a couple times, it seems terminal at the time, but once the weather gets better, the drive to get out there will increase.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It's natural. If you look at the CC group on mycyclinglog, we're well down on last January. The weather has been worse than normal, which for most people makes going on a long ride less appealing.

Don't pile pressure on yourself if you've been depressed.

Skipper

I put it down to the bad weather as much as anything. I've found it pretty tough lately, what with the wind, rain, snow, ice etc... You lose confidence in your ability. But on the plus side ...... you're still getting out, and you're still thinking about it. Take it easy, don't pressurise yourself, particularly if the weather is naff. Come the spring, when the days are longer and lighter and warmer, you'll be gagging to get out there

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry to hear that, Vike. I had a similar slump which lasted from 2010-2012 and it got so bad that I hardly ever cycled alone any more. I could make the effort and get on my bike for forum rides (which is why I organised so many) but ordinary solo cycling almost stopped.

I suggest that you really make an effort to turn out for some of your local forum rides. I think you intended to go on a few of the Rutland rides but didn't make it. Have another go. I'm sure that totallyfixed and dr_pink would make you feel welcome!

Leaway2

Lycrist
Looking at your ticker, you have done 240 miles. That is not an inconsiderable amount for less than a month especially with the weather being bad. Don't beat your self up.
I like Dayvo's suggestion, have a holiday.
Hope your spirits pick soon, keep your pecker up.

Top Bottom