Help! Totally Demotivated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will try not to over do it!
Definitely YES to this ^ :thumbsup:

I started back commuting on Monday this week, and despite some really poor weather on Tuesday, :snowball: I didn't let it stop me, I took my time and I've been enjoying it again.

I used to end up almost racing my way to work at times, but I'm now just taking my time, (a re-furbed 20 year commuter, and Tuesday's snow helps with this though).

I can't do Wednesday as I have to pick up Miss S after work, but I'm typing this now sat in my bike gear and about to get my boots on.

Just relax and concentrate on enjoying it Vikes, that'd be my advice and I'm sure you'll slot back in nicely :thumbsup:

Hey Vike,

I train/cycle a fair bit and do get days/weeks where it's hard to motivate myself to put in the effort or even get on the bike. I don't even commute!

I don't know if you read much but i decided that i would buy quite a few books on cycling, the Tour, famous riders etc etc. As a big cycling fan i find it easy to take inspiration this way and read a chapter or two if i am feeling de-motivated. It helps put you back in the correct frame of mind and instead of dreading a few hours in the saddle, you are looking forward to it!

It's all in the head isn't it. When the Tour, the Giro or the Vuelta are on we see record numbers of cyclists on our roads. Even if it's raining, we still have the highest motivation after watching a thrilling mountain top finish. IME it's all about rediscovering that when your head is telling you a hot drink and some tv will be much better.

Works for me and i ALWAYS feel better after the ride/session.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear you've not been keeping too well VOAB. Presumably your work are offering help to some degree? Or have cutbacks eaten into the welfare departments (surely not)? Been there about 11 years ago and ended up being pensioned off, but that was more to do with being diagnosed with an atrial fibrillation.

Anyway, hope you get your cycling mojo back soon. This morning I am popping out for a 20 mile circuit and it will be the first for about 2 weeks. Just seems to be other things getting in the way at the moment. If it's not work, then it's the ongoing work being done to the house; or when the opportunity arises the foul weather puts a stick in the spokes, so to speak. Sods' law!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think the weather is the killer. It is for me anyway. Lack of vitamin D probably and I can easily make excuses not to ride. I don't do ice, rain and don't trust motorists in the low sun we have this time of year. So most of the time I'm stuffed. warm grey days are my cycling heaven. Holiday is a good idea. http://iikintenerife.blogspot.co.uk/
So I walk. Sometimes I run partway. It's easy to just sling a coat on and some trainers and walk out the front door.
It seems to take me ages to prepare for a bike ride and therefore a lot more motivation to get ready.
Walking? Easy. Good cardio and good core exercise. Plus you feel so much better being outside.
In fact I'm off for one now. Where's me trainers......?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Hope you have a lovely ride today - down here it's not been as windy and I had a lovely 14 mile ride in this morning with some SCR thrown in for extra interest !

Bon courage !

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I've been on paternity leave for 2 weeks, and only on the bike a couple of times in the fortnight before, so I wasn't feeling overly motivated either! I went for a 20 mile spin this morning and it was nice to be out, the cold air was hurting my sinuses though so I cut short, feeling like the stupid winter virus I seem to always have is on its way back again! Will have another bash on Saturday and see how it goes.

Trouble is, unless I'm commuting I nearly always go out with friends, so to go out solo is a real struggle now.

I've been on paternity leave for 2 weeks, and only on the bike a couple of times in the fortnight before, so I wasn't feeling overly motivated either! I went for a 20 mile spin this morning and it was nice to be out, the cold air was hurting my sinuses though so I cut short, feeling like the stupid winter virus I seem to always have is on its way back again! Will have another bash on Saturday and see how it goes.

Trouble is, unless I'm commuting I nearly always go out with friends, so to go out solo is a real struggle now.
Understandable when you've just had a wee one! My boy is 11 months now and my spare and relaxing time is actually my cycling time. In other words no rest. :sweat:

Top Bottom