Help with Beeston Humber around 1920s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wtt11

Hello! I'm a new member and don't know antique bike very much. I recently visit my friend and he seems to have a Beeston Humber No1 except for the fork which is not duplex tube. The serial number is unclear but is 46xxxx.I just wonder that when was Beeston Humber No1 bike first produced in history? Are they equipped with duplex tube fork for all? Many thanks first!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Humbers seem to be notoriously difficult to date as for some daft reason, they don't publish serial numbers publicly of the pre 1932 versions when Raleigh took over the company.

By 'they', I mean the Vintage Cycle Club, you actually need to join the club and contact the resident expert, which sounds like con to me, but, what can one do??:

http://www.v-cc.org.uk/

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Its a guy in Skegness, he doesn't have E-mail (I presume he's ancient), so you need to write with pictures using old fashioned Snail Mail.

I have no idea what he'll say if you aren't a member, it all seems like a bit of a captive market to me, but I'll have to dig out his details later.

U

User42423

Hello! I'm a new member and don't know antique bike very much. I recently visit my friend and he seems to have a Beeston Humber No1 except for the fork which is not duplex tube. The serial number is unclear but is 46xxxx.I just wonder that when was Beeston Humber No1 bike first produced in history? Are they equipped with duplex tube fork for all? Many thanks first!

Hi. As a long standing member of the 'Veteran' Cycle club (not vintage), I'll try and help if I can. Firstly, it would be helpful to see some images of the machine (always helps). 1) can I ask where the frame number is located?. 2) the 'duplex' forks were used from the mid 1890s thru till 1950s. However, only the top models were fitted with them. There are several distinguishing features on early (1890 to1910) machines which help in dating.

Top Bottom