Help with disc brakes on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I have just bought a new cyclocross bike with disc brakes. I bought it as I wanted something that will stop me during the winter months. The bike is fitted with TRP Spyre brakes which are really well regarded, one of the main reasons I chose the bike.

I am hugely disappointed with the effectiveness of them however. No matter how hard I pull on the brakes they just won't lock the wheels up. I gave done about 50 miles now to bed them in but they are still rubbish. I have adjusted them correctly, loosening off the caliber and re tightening, played with cable tension,I've even given the pads a little clean. No matter how I adjust them if I put the bike on the ground, put the rear brake on as tightly as possible the bike will still move backwards if I push it hard, rather than just skid.

The cables seem to be compressionless, Jagwire KEB SL, so I don't think it's a cable issue.as a comparison I've just taken my road bike out with Ultegra rim brakes, both wheels lock up without issue.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Toptec

Not going to be much help here, got the exact same issues with my Genesis CDA. Rubbish is not the word I'd use for these poor excuse for a brake. I have got a couple of old bikes (1998) with Vee brakes that leave em for dead in any conditions. Will be following this with interest, until then stay safe.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Toptec... Have you the same brakes? I am very disappointed, they may come into their own in the wet but I'm not holding my breath.

sight-pin

Veteran
And yet i have a Carrera Vengeance MTB with cable disc brakes that'll shoot me over the handlebars if don't remember i'm not on my road bike.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
OP, did you bed them in?
Well I did a few hard brakes front and back, made no difference.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
These ones
TRP Spyre-C w/ 160mm Rotors & Jagwire KEB-SL Compresionless Outer

I can stop quicker with my foot on the tyre :laugh:
Ha ha, not sure they are that bad but they are crap. Might try some new pads but can't see it making much difference.

lpretro1

Sounds like pads maybe glazed - buff them off and then bed them in properly - need lots of really, really good hard stops - no dabbing at them. They should improve with each use as longa s you don't tiddle at them - give them some stick

Toptec

Sounds like pads maybe glazed - buff them off and then bed them in properly - need lots of really, really good hard stops - no dabbing at them. They should improve with each use as longa s you don't tiddle at them - give them some stick

I'll try that.....
No then, wheres me baseball bat :evil:

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
I took them off, sanded them so they were rough. Did a few hard brakes and took them off again and they were shiny again. Should they be shiny or rough when used?

sight-pin

Veteran
Just a thought....their isn't some sought of protective coatings on the disc that's not been removed? maybe worth a clean of the disc and pads with a suitable cleaner?

Top Bottom