Help with gear shift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
On my 20 year old Evans the Shimano gear shift works a treat. On my new E-Bike I`m having problems with the new push button shifter.It doesn`t always shift when I push the button. This might be because it`s more than likely the bottom of the range and you get what you pay for.

Images here http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/shimano_gear_shift

Ideally I`d like to change the new type to a system like the Evans. I know it can`t be quite the same because the Evans one fits to the brake lever where as the new bike just fits on the bars. So! something with a decent long reach to get past the electronic bits on the bars but with the feel of the old one. I can`t put a new brake lever on because of the micro switch in the exisisting one.
Also, would there be anything against fitting the new lever on the L/H side of the bars where there is more room?? are these handed?
Also, is the small black lever on the old shift a sort of fine adjustment?

Sorry, but I haven`t ridden the Evans for more than 20 years and cant remember the workings.

I`m gradually getting the new bike sorted, decent mudguards fitted, threadless stem extender fitted, better ergon type grips fitted and a Brooks saddle on order:laugh:

Thanks for any help

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
OT, on a new bike there is what is referred to as cable stretch, though some say it's just the cables, and cable stops, bedding in. It may be that it just requires a bit of tuning, a lot of bike shops offer a free 6 week checkover for this very purpose.

Unless your gears are internal hub ones then you can pretty much go with any type of Shimano shifter and brake combo. It's all about the amount of cable being pulled by the unit, they all work on the same basics of ratchet and release. As opposed to purely tension orientated ones where you feathered manually. You can use any brake lever as well as long as it's designed to pull the correct amount of cable as well. V-brakes, or side pull cantilever, need almost double the amount of pull that a road pivot style or centre pull cantilever would. If you're not sure what you have then I'd have a read through Sheldons site:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

The indexed style shifters you have, ie a pre measured amount of cable pull and release, are tried and tested technology.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
OT, on a new bike there is what is referred to as cable stretch, though some say it's just the cables, and cable stops, bedding in. It may be that it just requires a bit of tuning, a lot of bike shops offer a free 6 week checkover for this very purpose.

Unless your gears are internal hub ones then you can pretty much go with any type of Shimano shifter and brake combo. It's all about the amount of cable being pulled by the unit, they all work on the same basics of ratchet and release. As opposed to purely tension orientated ones where you feathered manually. You can use any brake lever as well as long as it's designed to pull the correct amount of cable as well. V-brakes, or side pull cantilever, need almost double the amount of pull that a road pivot style or centre pull cantilever would. If you're not sure what you have then I'd have a read through Sheldons site:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

The indexed style shifters you have, ie a pre measured amount of cable pull and release, are tried and tested technology.

Thanks Mac

I can`t change the brake levers easily as they have a micro switch to cut power when you brake should you need it.

The shifter just sticks at times when using the button to change gear and feels a bit cheapo. The one in the picture of the Evans is just superb, nice long lever and never misses a beat. I just wondered if I could get a more mechanical shifter and forgo the push button? and maybe fit one on the left hand side where there is more room away from the twist throttle and battery meter.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Old timer said:
Thanks Mac

I can`t change the brake levers easily as they have a micro switch to cut power when you brake should you need it.

The shifter just sticks at times when using the button to change gear and feels a bit cheapo. The one in the picture of the Evans is just superb, nice long lever and never misses a beat. I just wondered if I could get a more mechanical shifter and forgo the push button? and maybe fit one on the left hand side where there is more room away from the twist throttle and battery meter.

You can put them anywhere you like, you've seen some of the weird places I've put controls:biggrin: The only limiting factors are the angles, too tight and can interfere with shift quality, and the length of cable available, but that can always be altered/replaced. As long as the throttle and shifter aren't interlinked then you can reposition and change, the shifter, to your hearts content.

Randochap

Senior hunter
All gears, including budget systems should be expected to work reliably, if not quite as silky as higher priced groups.

As, Mac advises, take it back in for a tune up. Any good shop will be happy to do this for their customers gratis during the break-in period.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Randochap said:
All gears, including budget systems should be expected to work reliably, if not quite as silky as higher priced groups.

As, Mac advises, take it back in for a tune up. Any good shop will be happy to do this for their customers gratis during the break-in period.

Yeh! I make you right. The gears are changing better (after I realised I had put non splash motorcycle oil on the chain:blush:) I cleaned the chain and lubricated it and no more slipping.
Too far to take the bike back I`m afraid, it`s the spring loaded push button that doesn`t always work, after looking around and realising that changing to another shifter Isn`t as straight forward as I thought it would be I`ll take a closer look at the exisiting shifter. It`s been very cold of late so I`ll have a look see if I can get some lub inside. It was working fine when new.

I gather if you use a shifter for anything other than 6 speed ( lets say 9 speed) there will be wasted travel at one end of the sweep.
I`ve worked in engineering most of my life so I`ll just have to delve. Just thought there might be a common problem that people on here could point me to (getting lazy and it`s b***** cold out in the shed:laugh:

Seems to me after coming back into cycling from a long time off that technology has really caught up with bikes and I`m amazed at the range of gear that`s available( even from one manufacturer) just more ways to get us to spend our hard earned cash I suppose.

Thanks

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Sorted it I think, I`ll give it a run in the morning. Just strung the bike up in the shed and reset everything and seems to be getting all the gears on the way up and on the way down. Runs a lot smoother now I`ve cleaned the chain. Think I`ll invest in a bottle of the Gold chain lube.

Top Bottom