Help with gears pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
The little black thing is not in main body and very hard to change also brake on this side not working any advice pls

Attachments

• 153390993815819703869.jpg
    153390993815819703869.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 47

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a cable problem. Turn the lever over and remove the cover, all should be revealed!
If its an older bike the shifters can get gunked up so a good flush through with WD40 or similar might be beneficial.

Not a great picture, but it looks to me the cable leaves the shifter at an angle, this will inhibit the movement of the inner cable and would contribute to overall stiffness that you describe. You'll need to release the cable at the derailleur end and re-seat the cable outer before re-tightening the cable at the derailleur end. If this funny angle is a result of the cable being too short, you'll need a longer piece of cable outer and a new inner cable too. No clues here about the brake though. You'll need to adjust the derailleur after releasing it, so if you are not a DIY'er, take it to a proper bike shop.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

Not a great picture, but it looks to me the cable leaves the shifter at an angle, this will inhibit the movement of the inner cable and would contribute to overall stiffness that you describe. You'll need to release the cable at the derailleur end and re-seat the cable outer before re-tightening the cable at the derailleur end. If this funny angle is a result of the cable being too short, you'll need a longer piece of cable outer and a new inner cable too. No clues here about the brake though. You'll need to adjust the derailleur after releasing it, so if you are not a DIY'er, take it to a proper bike shop.
Thank you xx

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Was the gear working OK previously?

It may be the outer snagged on something.

Worth trying to work it back into the lever so it emerges straight.

Doing that might be easier if you put the lever into highest - hardest to pedal - gear.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

Was the gear working OK previously?

It may be the outer snagged on something.

Worth trying to work it back into the lever so it emerges straight.

Doing that might be easier if you put the lever into highest - hardest to pedal - gear.
Was working on last ride but now really hard to change gear and gear change noisy and clunky xx

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what he said re cable length ha the bike been lent or caught something that could have snagged the cable and pulled it out?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Prob lent up against fence x
Should all go back "as was" then.

Top Bottom