Help with HR Zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
I use a Garmin 910xt watch and Garmin Connect to log and track my activities and recently started using my HR monitor again as Im starting to train using HR zones.
Can someone help me ensue that Im using the correct ones?

I currently have set for cycling:

Zone 1 > 55% to 65%
Zone 2 > 65% to 74%
Zone 3 > 74% to 78%
Zone 4 > 78% to 83%
Zone 5 > 83% to 100%.

My resting HR is 66 and Im 38 yo.
My maximum HR recorded on my Garmin during a ride 181.

Please let me know if you need more info?

Is that cycling or running?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are loads of variations on HR zones so those percentages may be spot in for 1, and miles off for another. As a general case, then they look fine. Although should Z5 be 83-100%? HR training has, by default, a large margin of error so getting zones super accurate is not critical.

Also note they all overlap by 1 %, this is normal with the zones generated by Garmin Connect, but for example, if Z1 is 55-65%, Z2 must start at 66% otherwise there is a point where you are in 2 zones at once. This is purely academic mind.

Hicky

Guru
In an ideal world this seems ok, however any minor illness or lack of hydration could have a big impact and could lead to pushing too hard over a period of time, feel free to ignore me but I'd pay lip service to how my body felt also.

Ningishzidda

Have Zone 1 as 1% to just over your Standing Heart Rate. Measure it.
Do some experimentation and find your HR when you are at the point of needing to breath through your mouth. Set this as the upper limit of Zone 2. Zones 1 and 2 therefore will be breathing through your nose only. Zone 3 will ceiling at 80%, which is a good Aerobic zone.
The upper limit of Zone 4 will be LT. 90% ? This will move around ( up ) as you get fitter. It is the 'Peak aerobic zone'.
Upper limit of Zone 5 will be 100% of your previously attained max PLUS 5.

All of these will move around depending upon if you have an illness or how well you are rested.

D

Deleted member 1258

There are loads of variations on HR zones so those percentages may be spot in for 1, and miles off for another. As a general case, then they look fine. Although should Z5 be 83-100%? HR training has, by default, a large margin of error so getting zones super accurate is not critical.

Also note they all overlap by 1 %, this is normal with the zones generated by Garmin Connect, but for example, if Z1 is 55-65%, Z2 must start at 66% otherwise there is a point where you are in 2 zones at once. This is purely academic mind.

Like Rob3rt I don't think heart rate zones are an exact science, they are good enough for us leisure cyclists I think but personally if I was a competitive cyclist I'd want a power meter of some sort. The calculator I use is this one, the zones are slightly different to the Garmin.

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

I ignore the age box, I don't fill that in I just put my max heart rate in.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I don't think determining your max heart rate from a ride is accurate enough.
There are a lot of ways to determine your Max Heart Rate. A popular method that should give you a fairly good estimate is the 'Sub Max Step Test'.
I use this one and found it adequate for my needs.

The Sub Max Step Test:-
Use an 8" step( your stairs at home will do) and perform a 3 minute step test.
After warming up for 5 minutes, step up and down in a four count sequence as follows:-
Right foot up, left foot up.right foot down,left foot down for one set.
Count 'up,up,down,down' for one set. @ 20 sets per minute.
It is very important that you don't speed up the pace. Keep it regular.
After 2 minutes you will need to monitor your heart rate for the last minute.
Add to your last minutes average heart rate one of the following numbers:-
1 Poor shape +55 BPM
2 Average shape +65 BPM
3 Excellent shape +75 BPM
Try to be as honest with yourself as you can when estimating your current physical fitness.

Your result should be pretty close to your max heart rate. Within about 5 or 6 beats.+/-

It is best to do this test about 3 times and then take the average.
The test is simple to do and should give you a reasonable result suitable for the average, everyday rider.
It's definitely better than the method you are presently using IMO.

The zones you are using are in common usage and should suit your purpose
Good luck.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cycling Max HR is not the same as Max HR for any other activity. You should determine your cycling max HR by cycling!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Cycling Max HR is not the same as Max HR for any other activity. .............
This is true.
The test I outlined, however, only gives you a general starting point and is better than the age related formulas in my experience.
For the person who is not too concerned with accuracy and just wants a general reference point it's not too bad and simple to do.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'd consider that Mimi who is an occasional triathlete/duathlete would want sport specific zones to train within so the best test of MHR is going to be a specific one.

It's all well and good having a starting point within a few beats, but you have to remember the muscular use of a run and the muscular use of cycling both have different CV demands and thus zones will differ,particularly in multisport if form/pace is being based off HR. You can't have an incorrect zone and badly pace the bike to die the run.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I'd consider that Mimi who is an occasional triathlete/duathlete would want sport specific zones to train within so the best test of MHR is going to be a specific one.

It's all well and good having a starting point within a few beats, but you have to remember the muscular use of a run and the muscular use of cycling both have different CV demands and thus zones will differ,particularly in multisport if form/pace is being based off HR. You can't have an incorrect zone and badly pace the bike to die the run.
I couldn't agree more.
In this respect my post was totally superfluous and is quite unsuitable for mimi's purposes.
For this I apologise.

Below are the zones which I settled on. What I can't now find is the reasoning behind them. I make no claim for them, other than they seem to match my perceived effort. I don't zone train and if I did I might change them.

I use 6 zones for running because there is a distinct difference between 4 and 5 in terms of feel. I also don't know what my running max is so have added 8 beats to my cycling one and that seems to work out about right.

If I can recall where I got them from I'll post the link with the reasoning but at the moment it escapes me and other than being interesting as a general comparison I don't use them, except the cycling one for keeping a steady ride steady, occasionally.

1-Recovery - Easy 0.5 -0.64
2-Base aerobic - Steady 0.65 0.74
3-General aerobic - Endurance 0.75 -0.84
4-Anaerobic threshold - Endurance 0.85 0.91
VO2 Max boost 0.92 -0.1

1 - Recovery - Easy 0.5 -0.6
2 - Base aerobic - Steady 0.61- 0.7
3 - Upper aerobic, medium 0.71- 0.8
4 - Anaerobic threshold - Endurance, hard 0.81- 0.9
5 - Anaerobic - very hard 0.91- 0.95
6 - max - lactic 0.95 -0.1

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Cycling Max HR is not the same as Max HR for any other activity. You should determine your cycling max HR by cycling!

I dont know if you are referring to me but those HR readings I gave ARE taken from CYLING ACTIVITIES!

I couldn't agree more.
In this respect my post was totally superfluous and is quite unsuitable for mimi's purposes.
For this I apologise.

Thank you for your input anyway much apprecciated

Top Bottom