Help with MTB tyres please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My 29” MTB wheels have Bontrager 29-1 Expert, 29x2.20 tyres on. I don’t know for certain, but I reckon these stock tyres are for dry California dirt tracks and the like. Where I live, when it’s wet it’s muddy and chalky, the chalk ground is hard and slippery.

Does anyone know what type of tyres would be good to give better grip on that type of surface?

D

Deleted member 26715

Watching thread for information, I have Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active, 29x2.25" fitted & was not happy with them in the mud yesterday the front wheel seemed to want to go where it wanted & not where I wanted it to go.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Watching thread for information, I have Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active, 29x2.25" fitted & was not happy with them in the mud yesterday the front wheel seemed to want to go where it wanted & not where I wanted it to go.

Same for me, nearly had a very muddy fast off.

D

Deleted member 26715

Can it be down to pressure, of the tyres not mine pressing down on the bike, I run mine pretty high 40+

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm running and Conti Baron on the front and a Race King on the rear most of the year round. Both Black Chilli compound. Great for grip when it gets slippy on roots/rocks and it still rolls fairly well for what they are. Tyres aren't cheap these days but you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m out on the MTB as I type( tea break), I have reduced the tyre pressure, don’t seem to be making much difference, it’s very slippery out today.

D

Deleted member 26715

40, blimey. Have you got any teeth left. 30 PSI max, lower if you have tubeless.
I'll try that tomorrow if it's reasonable when I get home, I like the rolling resistance to be nice & low, it's easier on the old muscles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyres are a mine field as everyone has a different opinion. All depends on the riding you are doing.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf and Magic Mary's seem to be well respected, but, they are now available in different compounds, and I believe the 'softest grippy' tread doesn't last long.

Maxxis Minions, and Ardents are also popular.

I'm quite happy with my Nobby Nic's - some folk say they can break away in mud, but most tyres do anyway.

As for price, keep a close eye on sales.

Top Bottom