Help with MTB tyres please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm quite happy with my Nobby Nic's - some folk say they can break away in mud, but most tyres do anyway.

Nics were sketchy if you didn't get the lean angle right. It wasn't just a mud thing. Swapped for the combo mentioned earlier and they haven't broke away without warning yet.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went to my lbs today for further research into the dark art of MTB tyres.

The guy there seemed to concur (I think) with @Yellow Saddle about the width of tyres but suggested ( well he would, wouldn’t he) that a narrower but more treaded tyre would work better for the conditions around here.

He also suggested that I could convert to tubeless tyres as they provide better puncture resistance, ( I had three thorn holes in my tube on Monday.

Anyway he’s going to get some tyres in for me to look at, with no commitment to buy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
40, blimey. Have you got any teeth left. 30 PSI max, lower if you have tubeless.

Indeed,I'm more like 20psi this weather.

You won't go far wrong with Hans Dampf snake skin front and a fast tyre on the back.

I use a continental trail king puncture resistant black chilli

Ciar

Veteran
Tyre pressure is a huge factor, if i ride Epping in the winter it's a full on mudfest and i find it's best to run around 30 psi or below and i also run standard issue Nobby Nic's myself.

in the summer it's actually nice to swap out for a different set of summer tyres, as it really does make a difference.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It would seem then that the my tyre pressures are too high judging my the latest comments.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It would seem then that the my tyre pressures are too high judging my the latest comments.

You will give the tyre a chance to deform as you go over stuff which helps with grip.
However chalk when wet and roots will always require focus and method.
Wet roots will get the best riders in the world eating mud, so don't be too hard on yourself if you take a tumble.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not fitted the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Evo tyres yet to the FS. Awaiting some silly weather for crazy fun. The old MTB has snow studs on for ice.

The Ice Spikers are incredibly loud, given there are over 300 spikes in each tyre.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went to the LBS yesterday, they where extolling the virtues of Bontrager XR mud 29er tyres, used a lot up on the chalky Ridgeway apparently. I was tempted but a forty queens a pop I couldn’t quite bring myself to press the go button. I’m going to persevere with experimenting with tyre pressures on my tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£40 a tyre is about average. Keep an eye on sales - I spotted some Maxxis Ardent's down to about £32 each last week - they are usually £50 each, but couldn't justify it as the Nobby Nics are fine.

The Ice Spikers were £45 each (in a sale).

Top Bottom