Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
A good part of an overall strategy though. I salute you sir and wish you well.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just feel to big on the bike

If you were fitted for the bike, then go for it. If you havnt been on a bike in a long time, take things easy. It isn't a race. Slowly does it. If you can only manage to go to the bottom of the road then so be it. Gradually go a bit further when you feel comfortable to do so.

There is a great ap called my fitness pal in the Google play store. You can use it to help you to lose weight if that is what you want.

Don't worry about what you look like. There are lots of big cyclists. Get out there, have fun, and enjoy the fresh air.

Forget about everyone talking about losing weight etc. Just concentrate on having fun on you're New bike, then you can go from there if you want, and good luck.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For whatever reason, he fancies giving cycling a go. Would it be too much to ask we give him a bit of support.

Well said. Just have some fun. And a welcome would be nice as well as some encouragement.

Steve - I returned to cycling about 5 years ago (aged 45) when constant injures prevented me form playing football. I dug out a bike that had been dormant in the shed for about a decade. I started off doing a one mile lap round the local university. No fancy kit and I must admit I looked a right scruff. I progressed from one lap at a time to two and to three etc.

Just do a short distance to start, don`t worry about what people say and I seriously doubt if they will say anything. And although it may sound a bit like putting it off, start when the weather is a little better

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not being negative, it's great he wants to ride. But he posted very similarly back in July when the weather was much more cycling friendly and he was 24 stone then too. Got the same advice regarding just go and ride etc

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/help-new-bike-no-confidence.203957/

I'm a realist. I'm witnessing a very close friend on a similar journey. She's lost 5 stone in the last 6 months and want to lose at least the same again. It has taken a cancer scare, surgery, a complete lifestyle change, including buying a bike, working extremely hard with a personal trainer, but most importantly recognising that she has to completely change her eating habits and her psychology around food

Last edited:
Top Bottom