Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'm not being negative, it's great he wants to ride. But he posted very similarly back in July when the weather was much more cycling friendly and he was 24 stone then too. Got the same advice regarding just go and ride etc

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/help-new-bike-no-confidence.203957/

I'm a realist. I'm witnessing a very close friend on a similar journey. She's lost 5 stone in the last 6 months and want to lose at least the same again. It has taken a cancer scare, surgery, a complete lifestyle change, including buying a bike, working extremely hard with a personal trainer, but most importantly recognising that she has to completely change her eating habits and her psychology around food
Didn't realise that this was posted earlier. I'm not surprised by what it took for your friend to loose the weight, if it was easy we would all be skinny.

vickster

Legendary Member
Didn't realise that this was posted earlier. I'm not surprised by what it took for your friend to loose the weight, if it was easy we would all be skinny.
Precisely. @Markymark is lucky he can just ride a bike and lose weight regardless of what he eats. It's not the case for most who are overweight

DRM

Guru
Can you elaborate on why you are scared to get on your bike, if it's traffic, why not take it to Sherwood Pines & have a ride out on the fire roads, not the MTB trails, when you've had enough, go back to the cafe, get yourself a coffee to celebrate the fact you have made a start, as others have said little & often would be good, just try to ride for a little longer each time, the confidence & fitness will follow, just get out there and enjoy it,:okay:

Last edited:
I'd guess the OP is worried about balance, handling, and maybe even breaking the bike.

I don't want to imply that, but previous heavy cyclists here have listed those issues as major concerns.

Apologies if I have mistakenly assumed the OP's fears.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
New bike new start but scared of riding! 24stone and daren't get on the saddle....

Hello mate,

I don't claim to be an expert in anything but you are unlikely to have any issues with the bicycle in regards to your weight. All Diamondbacks are rated for 355lbs, which is over 25 stone. They're also rated for a certain amount of force in lbs but I can't find that figure through my mate Google.

When I first got back on a bike I was 19 stone (I'm 5ft 6...and a half) and I felt uncomfortable peddling as my knees and my stomach would kinda join forces on the upstroke. The bike was set up ok but my gut was hanging out and getting in the way of everything. Since then I've lost 2st 8lbs by cycling and eating healthy stuff, and sometimes KFC (only as a treat). I changed my lifestyle four months ago and I feel so much better for it. When I got on my new bike in November I was like bambi, and I had to have a bit of a practise before I let myself out on the roads. Luckily it all came back really quickly and now I feel a lot more confident.

There's no magical formula to make everything better overnight but my advice would be to take things slowly on the bike. It isn't a race, make sure you feel comfortable, slowly build up your speeds and distances and don't over exert yourself. In regards to losing weight, well, I went from eating a couple of Ginsters slices, some scotch eggs and a bar (big bar) of Dairy Milk for dinner to having some lean meat with rice and vegetables. I hit my breaking point and knew I had to lose weight and I've actually found the whole experience to be quite easy but I went in knowing I had to change my life.

I wish you the best of luck mate. Take your time with everything and you'll be fine.

GOAB

Slick

Guru
Advice would be more useful than support.
Not for everybody.

Slowly but surely does it. If you don't fancy getting on the bike just yet, why not try walking instead? It'll at least get you started in the exercise department. Then progress to the bike when you're feeling more confident. It's the first step that's the hardest.

Eating healthily really does help as @greekonabike says. Trouble is, it's not always the cheapest option if funds are tight, but a little tip: Yellow Sticker i.e. the clearance cabinets in the supermarket. It's a brilliant way of making fresh fruit & veg, lean meat and fish much more affordable.

Top Bottom