Hematoma Recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had an off about a week and a half ago. I hit the road fairly hard at speed and suffered a bit of road rash some bruising, thankfully no broken bones. Most of the issues are clearing up but I have a lump about 10 cm across where I have no nerve feeling and it reacts as though there is fluid under the skin. I know this is a hematoma, but looking at online advice there seems to be a cross section of opinion as to the best recovery tactic. I have been riding as usual with no elevated/increased symptoms, but can't lie on that side in bed and it can be a little tender still. Some people say continue as usual others says rest up. There is also a split on if draining via a doctor is a good idea or it increases infection risk and waiting is a better approach.
Anyone been through a similar injury?

midlife

Guru
Haematomas usually get firm as the blood clots, visit to the docs is in order.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine got infected, needed two ops, IV antibiotics. Swelling and constant discomfort going to pain. Three and a half years on

Mine was on the shin, nowhere for the blood to go

I had another on my knee, that was ok with a course of Augmentin as a precaution

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Saw the doc this morning. His view is that I have had had a leak from the Bursa which I will have damaged when I crashed, as the swelling is relatively close to the hip. As it is showing no sign of infection and is not causing me too much pain his view is it is best to leave it to be reabsorbed into the body, but monitor it for any signs of infection. He said draining the fluid would unnecessarily increase the risk of infection so was not something he would recommend at this stage. All sounds positive, so stuck an extra 10 miles on my run into the office. :smile:

Top Bottom