here we go again: Vino

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

water

Someone at 'the other place' has reported that Contador and Rasmussen,even with their bit of cat and mouse play, climbed Plateau de Beille [SP] faster than an attacking pairing of Armstrong and Basso in 2004.That too worries me !!.

fuzzy29

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. What was he thinking of? With the reputation of a team AND a country on his shoulders, he goes and does something that stupid. A Two year ban would be too good for him as he'll just announce his retirement. :biggrin:

To think that Astana came out yesterday and said that they would continue to sponsor the team for another 10 years. I guess that deal has all but disappeared.

Perhaps the UCI need to destroy the licences that Astana and Unibet have got as they just seam to bring bad news!

johnny

What a self-gratification artist. Life ban is the only way, hefty fines would also be a good idea imho. Really peeved about this as was really enjoying it this year.....

Chatting to cycling nut colleague this morning, both of us agreed that Vinokourov's miraculous recovery yesterday had overtones of Landis and "one wonders"... so, not surprised but very disappointing.

IF Kloden is clean that must really suck, as he had a chance (at least until he crashed again) but was always having to babysit Vino. But after Festina, when one on a team flags the others become suspect...

Agree that a life ban is probably the only serious enough sanction.

What a shame.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Too sad for words, I couldn't believe anyone could be so stupid in the present climate.

There is no need to make a first offence a lifetime ban, in effect it already is now. any high profile rider who fails a test has no chance of a place in a Protour team again. No sponsor would stand the flack they would get, and most race organisers would tell the team to take a running jump in any case.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think the only way to escape a life ban is to reveal all the details about how they went about doping: Where they bought it, who helped them (transfusions aren't DIY jobs), who put them up to it, who knew in the team structure, etc.

If they completely confess and reveal all, then they can have a two year ban. If not, it's life as they clearly haven't totally rejected doping and all thsoe involved with it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There are interesting attitudes here, I don't know if he is guilty or innocent, but the presumption here seems to be guilty until proven innocent. Lets wait until the B sample is tested.

When blood doping it is normal to use the riders own blood which is why it is so difficult to detect by testing. The presence of another persons blood cells in the sample, does suggest that there could be contamination of the sample at the testing lab.

If he is found guilty then he has been incredibly stupid and deserves all that happens to him, but lets wait until the B sample has been properly tested before letting loose the lynch mob.

Justice should be blind.

gavintc

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
lets wait until the B sample has been properly tested before letting loose the lynch mob.

Justice should be blind.

Nah, lets blindfold him, then hang him. :biggrin::biggrin:

On a more serious note, I think the Tour has acted correctly in kicking Astana out as their (Astana's) actions whilst racing affect others and change the course of events in a method than a normal 'innocent till proven guilty' would not apply. The race is still dynamic and outcomes would change if Astana are present.

Keith Oates

Janner
I am very sad to read the news, although after the TT and the last day in the hills not really suprised. Cycling needed this like a hole in the head. The really sad thing is that if it's true (B sample confirmation needed) it proves that he has been planning it for a while because getting blood treated takes time and effort!!

Jack

:biggrin: Very sad news. Despite how much it happens, I still find it hard to believe when I find out about it.

trio25

Über Member
But at least on a positive note it shows that they are catching the drug cheats. What suprised me is that he got caught, I would have thought with all his money he could stay a step ahead of the tests.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Every year this seems to happen. How are these people soooo stupid. With all that's gone on over the last few years you would think that the riders would know they are going to be tested, and yet some continue to juice themselves up. Can the sport continue? How much longer are the sponsors going to put up with it? Is there too much prssure put on riders to perform by outside influences? I am bitterly dissapointed at this. I really thought that this year the riders would be clean and the race would shine. Another tour down the plug.

Rob S

Paulus said:
With all that's gone on over the last few years you would think that the riders would know they are going to be tested, and yet some continue to juice themselves up.

Ahh but those other riders were stupid to get caught, I'm far more careful...it won't happen to me....I've devised a foolproof system with the help of my doctor!!

fuzzy29

To be fair, if there was a chance of the B sample being negative, why did the whole team agree to leave and why has Vino run back to Monaco? Also, I haven't heard the usual "it wasn't me gov', honest" remarks from him. Guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo poo! I just feel sorry for the other workers on the team (mechanics, cooks, masseurs etc.) that will be out of work due to the cheating ba$$ards on their team. Perhaps guilty riders should be fined heavily and the money used to support the innocent people who loose out. Or perhaps, they should be made to walk the Tour route and knock on every door to apologise!

Top Bottom