Here we have it folks, conclusive proof that bikes are better than busses in P'boro!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
According to a report by The Campaign For Better Transport, Peterborough 'has weaknesses in its public transport infrastructure and heavy reliance on cars', but 'There are some signs of hope, however, as many people already cycle regularly, showing there is scope for improvement and a will for active travel'.

So yay to P'boro cyclists, lets keep it up 'cos we appear to be being noticed ^_^ :becool: :bicycle:

http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/n...u-dont-have-car-london-and-manchester-easiest

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I quite like cycling around Peterborough! When I still had a BSO I used to love exploring the incredible number of cycle paths that weave through the estates.

I even used to amuse the local kids by 'having a go' on the BMX track - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/peterborough-is-great.102391/

Levo-Lon

Guru
Peterboriugh was planned very well back in the 70's with its parkway system and cycle routes
some great local village's with Stamford and Cambridge within easy comute by PT or car..
the public transport is ok but the population explosion of the last 6,7 yrs has caused a few problems,as new housing is now starting to cause bottle necks that wernt there 10 yrs ago.
xc cyling is good as loads of nice bridalways and public rights of way through and around the fitzwilliam estates, castor ,nene vally etc.
there's miles and miles of decent rural roads to explore on the roadbike..surrounding areas of peterborough are very nice by bike but dont bother if hills are your thing....the centre? Well I'll let the visitors decide..

andyfraser

Über Member
I was surprised to see Swindon only 3 places above Peterborough. It's small enough that walking within an area is possible (i.e. West Swindon) and there are shared use paths all over the place for cyclists and pedestrians. You can get all over Swindon and the surrounding areas by bike. As I said in a post on another thread though, the roads in some places are dire but useable. I know a lot of people who don't have cars and get on just fine.

The two problems at the moment are the shear volume of road works which are playing havoc with the traffic, and the buses. There are a lot of buses and most of the town is covered but they operate on a spoke and hub (or whatever it's called) system. Unless you want to go to the town centre or a stop on the route you started on you pretty much have to go through Fleming Way. It's taken me an hour and half on buses to do a journey that I could walk in an hour or cycle in 25 minutes before now. The buses are also affected by the road works.

On the whole, if you cycle or walk Swindon can be rather easy to get around.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just confirms what my wife always says...Stagecoach are bloomin useless. She uses the bus moderately regularly for work....she'll often stand for 3/4 hour (buses are every 15 minutes)...and three will come along :angry::headshake:.
Now cycling...I believe Peterborough is brilliant. You're never more than 4 miles or so from the countryside wherever you live in Peterborough, brilliant roads NSE and W.
North...towards Stamford, nice quiet roads, albeit a bit of a maze, I always meander out there, never seem to get a proper route sorted, but very nice anyway.
South, alongside the A1 towards Alconbury, many nice roads and villages.
East, flat flat flat, but quiet.
West, my favourite, towards Corby etc...some lovely rolling hills out there, lovely countryside.

I'm a bit confused Peterborough is ranked near bottom for active travel yet as demonstrated by a significant amount of the population (well compared to the UK average) that its not that bad and the report recognises that but still ranks it near bottom on that front :-/

I think this is what the study should be pushing more, that P'boro is great for cycling. The city centre's quite small, nice rides along the river, Ferry Meadows Country park, it would make life easier in some regards to get rid of the cars from the city centre completely :cheers:

Crankarm

Guru
Peterborough is a dump. I used to think it ok, but then my life moved to Cambridge and it is so much better.

Rural roads around Peterborough are lethal as many drivers drive like homicidal maniacs - right foot to the floor. Their are many from Eastern Europe who don't have any qualms about drinking and driving. I would avoid riding in the evenings or late at night especially at this time of year.

gbb

Legendary Member
Peterborough is a dump. I used to think it ok, but then my life moved to Cambridge and it is so much better.

Rural roads around Peterborough are lethal as many drivers drive like homicidal maniacs - right foot to the floor. Their are many from Eastern Europe who don't have any qualms about drinking and driving. I would avoid riding in the evenings or late at night especially at this time of year.
TBF, Peterborough is a bit of a dump, that said, ive lived here for 30 years or so and rarely had any trouble from neighbours etc...odd stuff yes, but generally people are reasonably well behaved. A dump yes...but not that bad.
Drivers in rural Peterborough ?...wellllll, i commute by car into the fens and you do see stupid drivers, and yes, often eastern european. But, out of rush hour / commuting times, ive ridden thousands of miles in rural Peterborough...its fine.
I always said, maybe once a year you get an absolutely outrageous overtake or stupid behaviour from a driver...once a year aint bad in my book. Plently of minor stuff of course, but thats part and parcel of cycling.

TBF, P'boro or Cambridge ?...i suspect i'd follow you if i had a choice :thumbsup:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm thinking back to the first time I rode around the roads surrounding Pererbrough and I can remember being a bit alarmed and how frustrated some drivers appear to be, which is daft because the parkways appear to make getting from one part of the city to another a breeze.

No, I wasn't cycling on the parkways. Well only once when I got lost and confused while cycling with @TheDoctor and another CCer.

Matt1705

Über Member
I haven't read the whole post but here in Worcestershire I can say cycling is better than public transport too.

As an example, for me to travel from redditch to Evesham takes an hour and quarter on the bus (not including the time it would take me me to get to the bus station, and costing me £6.!
I can do the 16 mile journey in little more than an hour, and as it's reasonably flat it's quite a pleasant ride.

Levo-Lon

Guru
TBF, Peterborough is a bit of a dump, that said, ive lived here for 30 years or so and rarely itad any trouble from neighbours etc...odd stuff yes, but generally people aLithuanialy well behaved. A dump yes...but not that bad.
Drivers in rural Peterborough ?...wellllll, i commute by car into the fens and you do see stupid drivers, and yes, often eastern european. But, out of rush hour / commuting times, ive ridden thousands of miles in rural Peterborough...its fine.
I always said, maybe once a year you get an absolutely outrageous overtake or stupid behaviour from a driver...once a year aint bad in my book. Plently of minor stuff of course, but thats part and parcel of cycling.

TBF, P'boro or Cambridge ?...i suspect i'd follow you if i had a choice :thumbsup:

I had a fuuny if not alarming moment on oilmills rd Ramsey mereside..I was on the left side of the road going to Ramsey to play golf,It was early 7,15 am and summer so plenty of light..big black Audi estate with Lithuainia plate.
he was travaling towards me on my side of the road in his left hooker..I swerved to the right to avoid him ,he blasted me with his horn and shook his fist..lol guess he woke upin lituainia that day..

Last edited:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had a fuuny if not alarming moment on oilmills rd Ramsey mereside..I was on the left side of the road going to Ramsey to play golf,It was early 7,15 am and summer so plenty of light..big black Audi estate with Lithuainia plate.
he was travaling towards me on my side of the road in his left hooker..I swerved to the right to avoid him ,he blasted me with his horn and shook his fist..lol guess he woke upin lituainia that day..

How did you carry the golf sticks??!?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I first came to live in Peterborough in 1990 coming from a very rough housing estate in Dublin, I found Peterborough a very nice place to live, at first I lived in some of the less desirable areas.....then and now Peterborough is no way near or close to being a dump..there are some really nice places to live in the city, its biggest problem and its never going to change is the poor planning and design of the townships especially the Ortons and Bretton....Peterborough has a lot to offer, its all there for those prepared to make the best of it....

spot on buddy..been some good improvements to welland "peter pan has gone" ortons are hit and miss..as is bretton and westwood ravensthorpe etc..if people would tidy up and take some pride it would be very nice again.

Top Bottom