Here's one for discussion...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Graham O said:
Although wrong, it does have a certain attraction,

I'm sure it would be great fun, there is certainly no denying that. However, just because something is fun, doesn't make it right.

It gets worse. Check out one of his other videos. He's a thrill seeker. Nothing wrong with that in the right context (I've been known to throw myself out of the odd plane!). However, no matter how skillful he is, he is putting himself and others at risk. He is also adding fuel to the anti-cyclist brigade bonfire.

Andy Pandy

I must admit I used to enjoy these type of videos, in particular the stuff from Lucas Brunelle. However, they're starting to irritate. People who ride like this rely on other road users to obey the laws which they don't. I really hate people who go through a "green man", and I'm increasingly p*ssed off at the number of near misses I had with cyclists on the pavement when out walking the dog.

Jake

looked like fun. i do envy some of the couriors skills and bravery, or it is supidity. i think the problem comes when you get inexperienced commuters who go through red and up the inside of lorries.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Andy Pandy said:
People who ride like this rely on other road users to obey the laws which they don't.

A very good point Andy. If more people rode like this, can anyone honestly say there would not be an increase in accidents?

Jake

edit last comment, just watched his brixton commute, lives near me. total nutter. I retract my previous comments

Molecule Man

Like others here, I get some guilty pleasure from this type of video, I can admire the skill and the nerve required.
However, when I think about it a bit more, I get really annoyed at the aggressive attitude towards everyone else on the street that is apparent from this and other similar characters. I get especially annoyed at the way pedestrians appear to be treated as obstacles to avoid, rather than fellow human beings.
I can see a lot in common between people like this and aggressive motorists. I guess I should just be thankful he isn't driving a car.

Jake

hypothetical:
he is showing off and driving down the wrong way of brixton hill towards new driver her swerves out the way and thus hits and kills little old innocent me on the correct side of the road be all prim and propper (mostly)

Think most of us agree on good skills, most likely a courier. yeah there is the law thing and we got to stick to it, and lets forget his safety becuse if he wants to ride like that then its upto him if he wants to end up a cabbage. its the other people on hte roads/pavements who i care about in those clips. like we tar drivers with the same brush, I'm sure after witnessing that, a lot of people would be pissed off at cyclists.

Molecule Man said:
Like others here, I get some guilty pleasure from this type of video, I can admire the skill and the nerve required.
However, when I think about it a bit more, I get really annoyed at the aggressive attitude towards everyone else on the street that is apparent from this and other similar characters. I get especially annoyed at the way pedestrians appear to be treated as obstacles to avoid, rather than fellow human beings.
I can see a lot in common between people like this and aggressive motorists. I guess I should just be thankful he isn't driving a car.
I wonder what the overlap is between the groups "aggressive people in cars", "aggressive people on bikes" and "pedestrians who just cross the road in front of vehicles and then have a good shout"?

Molecule Man

Lazy-Commuter said:
I wonder what the overlap is between the groups "aggressive people in cars", "aggressive people on bikes" and "pedestrians who just cross the road in front of vehicles and then have a good shout"?

Don't forget the pedestrians who charge down the pavement casually shoving everyone else out of the way or forcing them to step out into the road to avoid getting shoved (or is it just me that this happens to?).

Significant overlap I reckon. It really annoys me when cyclists as a group get abuse for inconsiderate behaviour, blah, blah, blah. The most obnoxious cyclists I see are late teens/early 20s young men on cheap uncared-for bikes, who will probably be behaving just as obnoxiously (but more dangerously) in a car as soon as they can afford one.

Basically, a twat is a twat, whether they are walking, cycling or driving a car.

Apologies for the language there, I guess I've spent too much time reading the Guardian forums.

Top Bottom