Hershey block uk chocs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Heshey are just running scared as they know that once Yanks try Brit choccies they dump Hershey's.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm willing to boycott Hershey's products in the UK. It wouldn't be a great hardship considering the few Hershey 'chocolates' I've tried in the past.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3518456, member: 259"]I can't say I've ever tried Hershey's version of Cadbury's, but Reese's peanut butter cups are bloody gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

I once bought several bars of Hershey's chocolate from the American wares shop at Duxford air museum. After one bite from a bar, xx( I discarded the remainder of the bar and gave the remaining bars to someone that I didn't like.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3518456, member: 259"]I can't say I've ever tried Hershey's version of Cadbury's, but Reese's peanut butter cups are bloody gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

You are not wrong Morty.. they are the only things that Hershey's do get right.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There's a great bit in Bill Bryson's book about travelling in Europe where he describes his first encounter with non-American chocolate, in Belgium. Can't find the actual quote, and I'm sure he says it far more wittily than I can manage, but it's along the lines of 'I thought my whole head was going to explode with the flavour of it! I thought I'd been eating chocolate all my life, but I'd been wrong. This was chocolate!'

(I did do a bit of googling in search of the original, coming across quotes like:
  • I had to calm down because a state trooper pulled up alongside me at a traffic light and began looking at me with that sort of casual disdain you often get when you give a dangerously stupid person a gun and a squad car.
  • I assume he was descended from apes like all the rest of us, but clearly in his case it had been a fairly gentle slope.
  • I watched a rerun on television of a 1960s comedy programme called "Mr Ed", which was about a talking horse. Judging by the quality of the jokes, I would guess that Mr Ed wrote his own material.
I must read him again...)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a great bit in Bill Bryson's book about travelling in Europe where he describes his first encounter with non-American chocolate, in Belgium. Can't find the actual quote, and I'm sure he says it far more wittily than I can manage, but it's along the lines of 'I thought my whole head was going to explode with the flavour of it! I thought I'd been eating chocolate all my life, but I'd been wrong. This was chocolate!'

(I did do a bit of googling in search of the original, coming across quotes like:
  • I had to calm down because a state trooper pulled up alongside me at a traffic light and began looking at me with that sort of casual disdain you often get when you give a dangerously stupid person a gun and a squad car.
  • I assume he was descended from apes like all the rest of us, but clearly in his case it had been a fairly gentle slope.
  • I watched a rerun on television of a 1960s comedy programme called "Mr Ed", which was about a talking horse. Judging by the quality of the jokes, I would guess that Mr Ed wrote his own material.
I must read him again...)

My favourite Bill Bryson Passage was when he describes the Dutch talking.

"Martha, what stirs in your leggings, are you moist?”
“No, but I tingle when I squirt!”
“Are you of assorted odours”
”Yes, of beans and sputum”
“And what of your pits, do they exude sweetness?”
“Truely”
“Shall I suckle them at eventide?”

It had me laughing like a Hyena on a beach in Greece.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
He really is a comic genius. Here he is on the Swiss-German language:

“You know you are entering the German-speaking part of Switzerland because all the towns have names like someone talking with his mouth full of bread: Thun, Leuk, Bülach, Plaffeien, Flims, Gstaad, Pläfflikon, Linthal, Thusis, Fluelin, Thalwil. …

It really is the most unattractive language for foodstuffs. If you want whipped cream on your coffee … you order it mit Schlag.
Now, does that sound like a frothy and delicious pick-me-up, or does that sound like the sort of thing smokers bring up first thing in the morning?”

Top Bottom