Hertfordshire route advice (Ware area)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just doing a spot of route planning as I'm riding to London tomorrow from here (Newmarket area). I naturally avoid busy roads as much as possible (and roads of any kind if I can) and I've spotted a series of linked bridleways which seems to link Hadham Cross, then roughly following the river Ash and then on into Stanstead Abbots, bypassing the nasty looking B1004. Stansted Abbots is right next to the Lea Valley cycle route 61 so from there it's a doddle all the way.

If anyone knows how rideable these may be (on a fully loaded hybrid). Streetview suggests a mix of surfaces.

Even better, I've spotted a disused railway line from near Wareside all the way to the Lea Valley cycle path, which then spits me out pretty much into east Central London. Again Streeview have been along some of it which suggests it is publically accessible, other bits say 'Amwell Walkway' though none of it is marked as a public right of way. Anyone know if you can ride this old line?

If these routes work, I can pretty much do the whole route (apart from C. London) on cycle paths, tiny lanes and bridleways.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As you identified there is a old disused railway line that runs from Much Hadham (starts at Buntingford ) all the way through Widford and Wareside down to St. Margarets. Its been built over in places (below Widford) but most is accessible. I haven't ridden it on a bike but I think you'd struggle on most of it. Once you get to St Margarets though you can pick up the tow path on the River Lea and that will take you all the way into north east London through Clapton and into central London which is rideable as you say.

Good luck. If you give it a try I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Good luck. If you give it a try I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Thanks- I've got all day so should have time for a bit of back tracking should I need to. Watersplace Farm between Hunsden and Ware looks like a blockage to the old railway line, but there is a footpath around that (which I'll walk my bike along obvs :whistle:) but other than that, looks OK. Will report back. Last time I cycled to London I rode the B road into Ware and whilst it wasn't the worst experience if I can avoid it I'd prefer to.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Arrived in central London after a pretty good ride from Newmarket, Took about 8 hrs though I was in no rush.

I would not recommend the old railway route from the Hadhams into the Lea valley. it’s ok but they’ve piled tons of loose gravel on most of it which is quite hard going.
As I thought the blockage around the farm mentioned above is bad-2 styles,

Further along on to the Lea Valley route, which I remember as being quite straightforward but it’s not. Lots of missing signage and faffing about with ghastly country park car parks - and at some point the supposed riverside cycle path sends you way off the riverside and up a bloody 200 ft hill, for no reason. Just what you need after 50 miles.

Other than that. A great day in the saddle.riding through central London. Is a bit of a shock after tne lanes and tracks I’m used to but good to expand one’s horizons I guess!

Top Bottom