Hey, bicycle industry, a free invention for ya!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bar end plugs with amber/yellow reflectors. -There you go. Make a fortune on me.

All the reflective end plugs on the market seem to be red. (This seems to go for ones with lights in too)
Thats perfectly fine for drop bars and other types where the bar ends point backwards, but what about straight or MTB and BMX ‘riser’ types where the bar ends point more or less sideways?

Or, to be selfish for a moment, the three inch section of flat bar that forms my home-engineered front light mount on my long wheelbase recumbent. 😏 A couple in there would be really good when nosing out of junctions and would discourage the spiders in my shed from nesting inside it . . .

Red in all of those types of bar would be confusing. Amber would be correct as the colour used on most vehicles for sidelights and lateral markers.

I can’t afford to wait on production lead times so I will be making a couple of sets of my own, probably from Sugrue hacking putty and yellow reflective tape. But there you go bike industry. I’m betting there’s going to be at least as many flat bars on the road this winter as drops, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they outnumbered drops considerably. It’s a market waiting to be exploited. Go get it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Too late ! I had some on a previous bike

Sadly the pluggy bit on the ones I got wasn't quite up to the job and they fell out, but the idea seemed sound

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Good to see your website is up already

Handlebar-Grips-End-Plugs-W-Reflector-black.png

Every now and then our company would be contacted by a lawyer engaged by client who is an "inventor". The lawyer wants the company to sign an NDA before disclosing how the invention will benefit the company. The company will refuse to sign an NDA. The inventor's lawyer will then plead for the company to accommodate the client with an interview.

At the interview, the client in the presence of client lawyer will told by the company lawyers that they cannot execute an NDA on something unknown. Some inventors will relent and reveal their invention. Every single time, the invention exist for years. Just that the inventor was not aware.

OP
OP
R

recumbentpanda

Veteran
Every now and then our company would be contacted by a lawyer engaged by client who is an "inventor". The lawyer wants the company to sign an NDA before disclosing how the invention will benefit the company. The company will refuse to sign an NDA. The inventor's lawyer will then plead for the company to accommodate the client with an interview.

At the interview, the client in the presence of client lawyer will told by the company lawyers that they cannot execute an NDA on something unknown. Some inventors will relent and reveal their invention. Every single time, the invention exist for years. Just that the inventor was not aware.

Sigh, irony rarely works on the internet . . .

freiston

Veteran
Erm, those are red . . .
Erm, the tape is but the reflectors are orange . . .
1633771148192.png

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was working at a bike event in 2008 iirc. I got talked at by some bloke with his amazing idea - making hub gears with more than 3 gears...
15 minutes it took me to escape.
Yes, 4,5,7,8,9,12 and 14 speed hubs were all very much things by then.:banghead:

DRM

Guru
Surely if the reflectors are amber they would be illegal as iirc if they’re rear facing they should be red, amber is for use on the sides of a vehicle, our caravan for example had red reflectors within the rear light clusters, and amber reflectors on the sides

Top Bottom