Hey- Brompton Bicycle Co.!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love my S6L, and find it’s design and functionality (mostly) timeless. It’s an awesome bike as-is.
However I’d like to suggest some functional, evolutionary enhancements to further better it’s innate “goodness”:

1) How about laser engraving or even stamping some numbered index marks on the seat post to help speed and better the fold/unfold cycle your products are renowned for?

2) A small, two-holed tab welded to the left-side chainstay for optional use for mounting a proper kickstand.
Not EVERY Brompton rider relishes the fold-under parking method, and in all honesty the spate of aftermarket stands which are Brompton-specific and mount to the rear axle pretty much suck (IMO)
You could make this tab standard, or offer it as an option and this would not impact the fold either with, or without a stand mounted AND also make the rear rack more useful. Inasmuch as this feature MAY attract some new clients who otherwise aren’t hugely attracted to the lack of standard kickstand on the Brompton.

3) How about broadening your product line? Some of us would love a Brompton with thicker tires, and the ability to more adequately travel on unpaved paths, and just be bit more “outdoorsy” than the single basic product you build now. Of course this would likely be a thicker, and somewhat less elegant fold than the urban assault Brompton we all know now, but that would likely be inconsequential on a bike built for slightly different mission, but leveraging Brompton’s design, and reputation for build quality.

Thanks for listening Brompton....and NO charge for my free product recommendations.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why is this on here?

mitchibob

Über Member
1) Because instead they give you a sleeve you can adjust and install that means you only pull your seat to the correct height, unless you changed your seat-post for a cheap titanium one.

2) The fold under standing is fine. Why add more weight?

3) Marathons are pretty much off-road tyres. Certainly following a load of national cycle route paths recently seemed pretty much off-road.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They are very slow to make changes. Brompton are not a bicycle company, they are in the main facilitators of urban transport and this is their focus. Their primary market is commuters and unlike Tern and Dahon don't make a slew of models. Any modifying for other tasks is up to owners.

OP
OP
FolderBeholder

FolderBeholder

1) Because instead they give you a sleeve you can adjust and install that means you only pull your seat to the correct height, unless you changed your seat-post for a cheap titanium one.

2) The fold under standing is fine. Why add more weight?

Re-seat stopper: Definitely not a plug and play solution, nor adaptable after-the-fact. Point being....index marks would accomplish the same thing and eliminate another proprietary component.

Fold-under standing is fine. For some. Not for all. The additional weight of the “tab” would be countered by the elimination of the weight of the seat sleeve stopper (see above) while offering traditional standing option to those who wish/require it. You dont want the additional weight of the sidestand? Dont install one.
You dont care or the benefits for one’s use override the slight extra weight...,the option is built-on to do so.

Cycleops.
Disagree. Brompton IS a bicycle company....with a single product. Need to broaden to remain viable and capture new as well as current customers looking for different riding products. Take Moulton for instance-several models from soup to nuts, yet they all have the Moulton DNA. The worlds most successful companies in all corners of commerce offer more than one product.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
eliminate another proprietary component.
I think you misunderstand the Brompton business model. Which is all about proprietary components and standardisation.
Need to broaden to remain viable and capture new as well as current customers looking for different riding products.
They're not exactly doing badly with a narrow product range...
The worlds most successful companies in all corners of commerce offer more than one product.
Apple - designer lifestyle
Facebook - connecting people
Amazon - selling any old shoot

Brompton - versatile do-it-all passenger transport for people with space constraints

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Why not? Please be explicit with details. Did the original post break any forum rules? Sincerely interested to know. Thanks!
Welcome to CC @Geedubbayoo!
I can confirm the OP is not breaking any forum rules ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used standard Brompton tyres often off road with no real problem. Inflation to 100 psi. Just be careful to pick the least bumpy route. For seat height marking I use a bit of cord attached to the saddle and down to the frame. Pull it tight and height is right first time.

Geedubbayoo

Regular
I haven’t been on this forum for long but had been impressed with the level of civility I’d seen so far. However I’m a little disappointed in the first couple of reactions to the original post. I’m not sure if it’s because of the inherent xenophobia or the fact that they feel the Brompton design is sacred and above criticism or some combination, ie. that an American would offer comments on a British product.

(I’m not including those later posts accompanied by a smiley face icon; that little clue makes the poster’s intention clearly not antagonistic.)

I’ve owned a Brompton for seven years now and while I truly love the bike I can see room for improvement. That’s part of the reason I read forums like this.

To the OP’s points:

1. Have you tried using a Sharpy pen to mark your seat post height? I’m lucky in that the tallest extension of the regular post is just right for me.

2. The “fold under” stand doesn’t work for folks with rear racks and bags, or it is at least cumbersome to use for a brief stop, so some sort of provision / better way to integrate a kickstand is not a bad idea.

Anyways, I’m enjoying this forum a lot so far. Thanks to those who have made me feel welcome!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In all fairness, Moulton sell essentially a single frame (albeit with a non-separable option) with a variety of gearing options.
As do Brompton. They're both happy to work within their niche.

Top Bottom