HGV lack of indication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a sign on the pavement telling saying the road narrows. The left lane has a big arrow painted on it showing left turn only. The lorry was in the correct lane to proceed ahead, anyone in the left lane trying to go straight was in the incorrect lane.

Origamist

Legendary Member
There is a sign on the pavement telling saying the road narrows. The left lane has a big arrow painted on it showing left turn only. The lorry was in the correct lane to proceed ahead, anyone in the left lane trying to go straight was in the incorrect lane.

I'm guessing the OP was thinking more about the v late indication later in the video...

Origamist

Legendary Member
You are correct, didn't see that part. I could see the indicator flashing so it was before the op passed, but yes very late.

Maybe the op should have flapped his arms a bit more? Seems to help around Aldwich?

I'd not bother with the arm flapping - I've tried it and you still can't fly over obstacles.

The HGV did not want to wait behind the bus and indicated to change lanes between the traffic islands very late - that was ill-advised. The OP did not want to wait behind the HGV (after a tow) and was forced to back out of an ill-advised overtake.

It looked very close and I'm glad the OP had the wits to abort the overtake in time.

...plus the Skip lorry has one of those "Cyclists Stay Back" stickers so, you know, it's not their fault if any cyclist tries to overtake:wacko::blink:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I would have said that overtaking at a pinch point when (assuming) you couldn't see directly in front of the lorry, was more inconsiderate than the late indication.

From the helmet cam you can see buses in front of the HGV - in the same lane. The HGV is not indicating on the approach to the slowing and stopped buses and is on the brakes - this would have understandably led the OP to assume the HGV was stopping behind the buses. However, there was a visual cue just before the indicator comes on - the brake lights go out. I suspect the OP just glimpsed this and was then on the brakes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Perhaps I was a bit rash presuming the HGV wouldn't suddenly pull out to the right without indicating.

Perhaps you were a bit rash trying to over take it anyway.
You cycle in London every day, you see, hear and read about accidents and collisions with trucks like that.
Myself.. I am happy to wait behind until a truck has either turned off somewhere or is as far away from me as possible.
I call it life preservation. Those few extra seconds because of 'must get in front' is just not worth the risk.

Top Bottom