HGV Speed Limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Don't get me started...i'l have a rant ^_^

as for raising the HGV speed limits on a-roads, that's a no no for me, much better to reduce the 60mph limit for cars, and as a previous poster said, silly overtaking by impatient car drivers is the cause of a lot of the accidents.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
As a trucker, i'd accept that.....as long as all the doddery old gits who insist on doing 50mph max in their cars got banned from the motorways too :dry:

Presently there is a 50 mph stretch on the M4/M5 around Bristol with average speed cameras, that quite obviously doesn't apply to drivers of HGV's.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Presently there is a 50 mph stretch on the M4/M5 around Bristol with average speed cameras, that quite obviously doesn't apply to drivers of HGV's.

or BMW's ^_^

Most Police Forces work on a 10% + 2 cut off, i.e. in a 50 mph camera zone you may get flashed but you won't get fined under 56mph, i personally stick to 49mph in these zones, unfortunately some hgv drivers don't back their speed down and stay at full throttle (most trucks 53 - 55mph) because they know they won't get summonsed.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Which is great when I eventually get to a motorway, but its 150 miles to the nearest one.

lol so move house then if it concerns you so much. We share the roads we all pay road tax and insurance and a damn sight more than your average car driver. Love how everyone slates lorries lorry drivers etc etc. as all your food fuel clothes BIKES you buy at some point or another gets transported in a lorry then they are a necessary evil.

byegad

Legendary Member
On the continent I've seen Dual carriageways with an intermittent ban on lorries in the outside lane. We even have a couple of short stretches like that on the A1M in County Durham! This stops lorry A doing 53.00001moh attempting to overtake lorry B doing 53mph and so holding up every one else. It works well and the drivers of HGVs seem to obey. It would solve a lot of problems if we had more of these.

In the meantime we have lorries sitting alongside each other for mile after mile and the inside driver unwilling to ease the throttle to let the overtaker and everyone else through.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
BUT this thread is about lorry speeds and their limits on SINGLE carriageway roads.

I can see it's frustrating to be stuck behind a slow lorry on a featureless, straight road with no junctions and good sightlines - but if that were the case, you'd just overtake. If it's not safe to attempt an overtake, is it really safe for a large, heavy vehicle - which isn't going to be able to brake or manouvre quickly - to be doing more than 40mph?

To get to work I have to use a stretch of single-carriageway trunk road. It's littered with junctions, bends, bus stops, farm entrances... you name it. There's no way it's safe for a lorry weighing 30-plus tonnes to thunder through some of those junctions, where the lane may only be a metre or so wider than the vehicle, and there'll be pedestrians on the pavement and other vehicles waiting to cross, at 60. There's a history of fatal collisions at many of these junctions to prove it. Yet the limit remains 60 for cars, 50 for big'uns, and many thunder through those junctions at 60+.

Perhaps a blanket speed limit on all single-carriageway roads isn't what's needed. Maybe we need more intelligent application of limits to risky areas like junctions, bends and so forth?

green1

Über Member
lol so move house then if it concerns you so much. We share the roads we all pay road tax and insurance and a damn sight more than your average car driver. Love how everyone slates lorries lorry drivers etc etc. as all your food fuel clothes BIKES you buy at some point or another gets transported in a lorry then they are a necessary evil.
I wasn't having a go at lorry drivers. I was mearly pointing out that there isn't a fast lane north of Edinburgh or Glasgow, and is one of the reasons why I'd never drive an eco box up here.

Top Bottom