HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris_Kn

Regular
Seeing how things have turned out rather childish on this thread. I'll let all you experts sort out the problem.
Guys that did move things on thanks, guys who didn't enough said.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The sorting needs to come from your colleagues. Are you afraid to tell them?
Why are you expecting him to sort out the HGV side, in the same way I'm not responsible for cyclists who go through red lights or do go along the side of a HGV. The more HGV drivers who understand the cyclists perspective the better IMO.

Why are you expecting him to sort out the HGV side, in the same way I'm not responsible for cyclists who go through red lights or do go along the side of a HGV. The more HGV drivers who understand the cyclists perspective the better IMO.
He seems the sort to debate what others should do. The change needs to come from drivers so that woukd be the place to start.

Oh, and you think anything put forward has been 'understood'? It's barely even been read.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
He seems the sort to debate what others should do. The change needs to come from drivers so that woukd be the place to start.
Being aggressive to one who is listening is not going to get you a sympathetic ear. He isn't responsible for other's bad driving, yes you won't agree totally on what the problem is but is an aggressive attitude going to convert him to your point of view.

This problem does need to be tackled from multiple sides including recognising that some cyclists don't realise the danger they can put themselves in, equally, cab design is a long way from perfect, and many cyclists end up in the wrong position in relation to a HGV because of the lorry's actions rather than theirs. The fact that some drivers aren't fit to be behind the wheel also needs looking at, but that's one for the police, liciencing authorities and employers.

To c
Being aggressive to one who is listening is not going to get you a sympathetic ear. He isn't responsible for other's bad driving, yes you won't agree totally on what the problem is but is an aggressive attitude going to convert him to your point of view.

This problem does need to be tackled from multiple sides including recognising that some cyclists don't realise the danger they can put themselves in, equally, cab design is a long way from perfect, and many cyclists end up in the wrong position in relation to a HGV because of the lorry's actions rather than theirs. The fact that some drivers aren't fit to be behind the wheel also needs looking at, but that's one for the police, licencing authorities and employers.
''equally'??? Really??
There is nothing equal about it. The odds are massively stacked against us. HGV industry from those driving to those controlling on the whole do not care. The illegality is rife. Make every cyclist obey the law or every HGV driver obey the law. Guess which one would save by far the most lives. To come on here and tell us that lorries pay into the tax system so should be given some leniency is offensive in the least. Any notion of drivers taking responsibility is just dismissed. I am not saying he is responsible, but go preach to those that are.

To quote another fellow memeber:

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

classic33

Leg End Member
I tried to answer the points he raised, whilst trying to get an answer as to how a road can be unsafe for a test(when your driving is at a different level) & safe once the test has been passed on a simulator.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I didn't mean equal as in the same amount, just in looking at the other side, words aren't always my best side, as if you look at what I wrote after the equally I did feel that I said a lot more problems from the lorry side. Not sure what word I should have used instead. I'm trying to say that there are multiple angles from which the problem needs to be looked at.

I didn't mean equal as in the same amount, just in looking at the other side, words aren't always my best side, as if you look at what I wrote after the equally I did feel that I said a lot more problems from the lorry side. Not sure what word I should have used instead. I'm trying to say that there are multiple angles from which the problem needs to be looked at.
Fair enough. I bet my wife's bike that our friend thinks it's equally.

BEHMOTH66

And the result, from the drivers side of things on Trucknet
just read the Trucknet forum and they go on about why are they on the nearside. have you ever tried to cycle on the offside of the road all you get is abuse. one guys goes on about the cycle lane being there but doesn't mean you still should go up the nearside of a cab. Hang on that our lane that drivers constantly whinge about now they don't want us to use it to pass them. how the hell can we pass them in any other way????

Profpointy

Legendary Member
just read the Trucknet forum and they go on about why are they on the nearside. have you ever tried to cycle on the offside of the road all you get is abuse. one guys goes on about the cycle lane being there but doesn't mean you still should go up the nearside of a cab. Hang on that our lane that drivers constantly whinge about now they don't want us to use it to pass them. how the hell can we pass them in any other way????

truck driver is basically right here - ie cycle lanes are nearly always useless and dangerous as they encourange cyclists into the most dangerous position. And then as you say, we get beeped at for not using em

Top Bottom