Hi all from Swadlincote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes, also from this neck of the woods. Most of my miles are commuting miles, average of about 52 a day but i dont exactly go the direct route... :smile: As Simon said we do sometimes talk of a forum ride but its just not happened as yet. My thoughts, as Cyberknight quoted, Hicks Lodge could be a nice place to meet up. One day, we'll all get out for a few miles. By the sounds of it there might be quite a few likely to come along.
How's the search going for a bike?

Craig G

Hi guys. Newbie on here.

I reside in Measham so it would be good to hook up for a ride sometime, my mates are either too far away or too lazy for regular rides.

Welcome to CC !
Yes i am indeed from that neck of the woods , Newhall in fact .
What sort of riding do you do ?, i am a member of mercia CC which has a number of rides with 3 main rides on a sunday morning from burton town hall

Hi Cyber. I've been thinking about joining a local club, either Mercia or Coalville Wheelers, to take part in the Sunday rides, what are they like? Do you just turn up?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi guys. Newbie on here.

I reside in Measham so it would be good to hook up for a ride sometime, my mates are either too far away or too lazy for regular rides.

Hi Cyber. I've been thinking about joining a local club, either Mercia or Coalville Wheelers, to take part in the Sunday rides, what are they like? Do you just turn up?
Mercia welcomes new and non regular riders ( like me ) , we have 3 groups leaving from burton town hall on a sunday at 9.15 am .The steady group averages 16 mph ish over 40 miles or so , the medium averages 17-18 mph and does 40-50 + miles and the fast group will average 20 mph over 50-60 miles with the steady and medium having a no drop policy .The fast group stays together but after the cake stop the pace does pick up and if your dropped .........
link to mercia cc website in my sig although the site needs a bit of an update
Heres a couple of club rides .
Mercia fast ride
http://www.strava.com/activities/194327151
mercia medium ride
http://www.strava.com/activities/184645500

Craig G

Thanks Cyber. I've actually ridden in groups a fair bit so I'm aware of the etiquette. Done 6 or sportives in the past 8 months so have spent large chunks of them in groups.

Is it just a case of turning up?

cyberknight

Thanks Cyber. I've actually ridden in groups a fair bit so I'm aware of the etiquette. Done 6 or sportives in the past 8 months so have spent large chunks of them in groups.

Is it just a case of turning up?
Yes , turning up is fine .We do have a membership of £15 ish a year which is normally paid in january which i regard as great value for not getting lost ;) and they do have a lot of other stuff going on .Club kit is not necessary although i did buy a jersey but many just wear what they like .

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Next time I'm down at my parents in Swad I'll have to try and catch some of you (at least for a beverage).

Not sure my legs are up to the hills as I always remember Springfield road, Darklands road and Alexandria road a pain on an old gas pipe 5 speed (was a loooong time ago when I was a wee nipper), good job they weren't too long.

Always enjoyed riding through Repton and round Foremark Resevoir. Remember cycling from Swad to Moira when I had a summer job there in the mid 80s.

cyberknight

Next time I'm down at my parents in Swad I'll have to try and catch some of you (at least for a beverage).

Not sure my legs are up to the hills as I always remember Springfield road, Darklands road and Alexandria road a pain on an old gas pipe 5 speed (was a loooong time ago when I was a wee nipper), good job they weren't too long.

Always enjoyed riding through Repton and round Foremark Resevoir. Remember cycling from Swad to Moira when I had a summer job there in the mid 80s.
I used to walk up and down springfield road as a kid every day to swad bus park from the top as parents moved in my last year of normal school and i was catching a bus to ashby .
Now i live a couple of minutes away from it and i keep promising to do hill work on it , not happened yet but i do ride up newton solney lane 5 days a week on the way home .
http://www.strava.com/segments/2250130
I do have relatives ooop north :smile: they just moved from gateshead to near whitley bay .

Last edited:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

My first experience of Darklands Road was on a Raleigh Bomber (1983ish) and it was my first and last commute to Pingle school. I weighed up the pros (saving 21p on bus fare) and cons (getting home late and nearly being taken out by a Viki bus) and knocked it on the head ^_^

Beverage? I`m up for that :thumbsup:

Top Bottom