Hi fi stands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I've persuaded Ms RT to let me keep the old pub table for my hi fi stuff. The speakers (Cura CA10s) are on their own Cura stands and the valve amp I bought recently sounds geat to me exactly where it is. Besides, the table is made of square iron rod with a heavy tiled top, so it ought to be ok for a hi fi mount. And I can't afford three hundred quid (I still can't quite believe that) for a set of shelves.

Mr Pig

Rhythm Thief said:
I can't afford three hundred quid (I still can't quite believe that) for a set of shelves.

It depends on what the stand does. Most Hi-Fi stands don't do a lot so are just fairly expensive furniture. Mana is worth every penny though.

The flat Mana platforms cost £200 and it would cost you a lot more than £200 to get the level of improvement they deliver in any other way. I wouldn't spend a lot on an other brand of Hi-Fi rack though, I would buy whatever looked nice.

[quote name='swee'pea99']Very interesting point about hearing and age. I know for a fact that my daughters can hear things I can't, just as they can read print that's totally illegible to me. I read somewhere that kids have been recording those teen-repellent mosquito devices and using them as ringtones so they can take calls in class without the teacher knowing....[/quote]

There is a iPhone and android phone app called Sound grenade that does something similar. My kids hate it, my wife can't hear it at all. Suprised me that I can despite working in a noise hazardous environment all my working life.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The Ikea Oppli TV/Hifi stand was an absolute bargain until Ikea stopped doing them but still worth keeping an eye out for secondhand. Two can be combined with a bit of minor carpentry to create a duoppli.

John

Mr Pig

Rezillo said:
The Ikea Oppli TV/Hifi stand was an absolute bargain until Ikea stopped doing them

Annoying that. My son has a big Ikea desk, it's a great desk, and we were going to get another one for my other son. But they've stopped doing it in brown and now you only get it in black. Wouldn't go in his room at all.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mr Pig said:
Annoying that. My son has a big Ikea desk, it's a great desk, and we were going to get another one for my other son. But they've stopped doing it in brown and now you only get it in black. Wouldn't go in his room at all.

Just paint it.
Either the room or the desk, which ever is easier.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mr Pig said:
That we be a mess. The brown desk is wood stain on pine, not solid brown paint.

Alright then, paint the room:rolleyes:
God, do i have to give you all the ideas

Don't forget to rip up your floorboards and fill the gaps between the joists with sand. :laugh:

I used to have a (cheap) separates system from Richer Sounds. It sounded quite nice, but the space it took up (plus the endless spaghetti behind the stack) wasn't really justified. Nowadays we have a bog-standard mini system and that's plenty. It's about the music, not the kit.

Mr Pig

Chuffy said:
Nowadays we have a bog-standard mini system and that's plenty. It's about the music, not the kit.

I agree. If you get a buzz out of your music that's all that matters. If you're happy with what you've got, keep it. For a lot of the people I know who have expensive Hi-Fi's it's just an ego thing.

That said, is the system is genuinely good it gets you a lot closer to the music. It can be almost as involving as live music.

U

User482

Mr Pig said:
You may not understand how a support could make a difference to the performance of an electronic device like an amplifier or CD player but that's a gap in your knowledge, it doesn't alter the facts.

What evidence to you have for this "fact"?

You are right that there is not much you can do about the local grid but improving or removing whatever electrical connections you do have access to can help.

Why?

Mr Pig

User482 said:
What evidence to you have for this "fact"?

LINK

LINK

James Guthrie, Pink Floyd's producer LINK uses Mana (Check the endorsements). The Astoria Studio, which belongs to David Gilmore, is also fully kitted out with Mana supports.

Hi-Fi reviewers to endorse Mana include:

Paul Messenger
Malcolm Steward
Rob Doorack
Art Dudly
Alan Sircom
Paul Hartley
Jimmy Hughes
Adrian Cowdroy
Steve Sullivan
Robber Mills
Jason Kennedy
John Simister
Ken Kessler
Martin Colloms

I don't think any other Hi-Fi product in history received the universal and consistent praise that Mana did.

U

User482

Your list is just a collection of anecdotes. None of them are a proper double-blind study.

NickM

Veteran
User482 said:
Your list is just a collection of anecdotes. None of them are a proper double-blind study.
You'll never see one of those reported in a hi-fi magazine - it might show up the Emperor's new clothes for what they are :biggrin:

The Ikea "Lack" table has been widely recommended as a sensibly-priced stand for hi-fi equipment (if you can put up with chipboard in your living-room). But I believe it has been discontinued for some time, so it probably fetches £200 on eBay by now xx(

Top Bottom