Hi-spec lights, il-lumen-ate me please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
these are the replacement i have seen online.
MR11-Clear-large.jpg

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
They look pretty similar. The Lumi is 1w, as opposed to the 1.5w of the other lamp. I still think you'd find that it wasn't much cop except for being seen by.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
Just to be absolutely sure. We are talking about this aren't we?
If so, sorry but it's rubbish as a light to actually see by.
I think you are being a bit harsh. You'll get quite a reasonable local flood, and if you aren't going much more than 14mph you don't actually need to see all that far ahead.

Andrew
(37mph on a single 5mm LED, no moon)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
mr Mag00 said:
I am currently running one light for the road runs as i tend to be out longer, but offroad 2 lights and the battery only lasts about 2 hours ;)
Ok, tell you what, if it's not piddling with rain tonight I'll try to get some beam shots for you.

What lamps are you using btw?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Ok, have been fiddling with the camera and taken some more shots. Markers are at 2.5m intervals, all lights focussed on the 5m marker.

1w 15 LED Lumi
Lumi1w15led.jpg

3w Tesco torch
Tesco3wtorch.jpg

5w Lumi halogen
Lumi5whalogen.jpg

20w Lumi halogen :smile:
20Lumihalogen.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Of course 20W of halogen is better for seeing with, but it kills your batteries.
The Lumicycle LED module was introduced so you could ride to your off-road playground, spend a couple of hours playing, and ride home again without running out of light. Trying to use full power halogen the whole way would just result in riding back unlit.
If you are riding on road at a moderate speed, you don't need much light to see by. People managed for years on things like the never-ready or wonderlight

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
andrew_s said:
Of course 20W of halogen is better for seeing with, but it kills your batteries.
The Lumicycle LED module was introduced so you could ride to your off-road playground, spend a couple of hours playing, and ride home again without running out of light. Trying to use full power halogen the whole way would just result in riding back unlit.
If you are riding on road at a moderate speed, you don't need much light to see by. People managed for years on things like the never-ready or wonderlight
Which is pretty much what I said in the first place. It's a visibility light and fine for that purpose. On lit roads it's a fine commuter light, which is why I bought one.
As for riding by it alone, on unlit roads, no. You'll get a local flood, but local to your front wheel. I'd rather not trust to it on unlit roads or paths because I don't have eyes like a cat and I don't want to have to react that quickly to the unexpected. Yes, we managed on those D cell horrors for years, but they were dreadful. There's nothing there to get misty eyed over...

MichaelM

Guru
Is that 20W Lumi the flood or spot? How old is the lamp unit, is it filled with powder yet?

My 20W flood was pretty dim compared to some more modern LED lights (about 4/5 years old and filled with powder), and the lamp unit has recently disintegrated. I've just bought a Fenix L2D torch - now trying to decide wether to get rid of the Lumi set up and buy another Fenix or whether to fit a new MR11 lamp.

mr Mag00

rising member
ok i get your point!!! they are not for navigation, thnx for illustration. weell thats a bummer i wanted to extended my riding time onmy batteries, i think they sell longer life batteries.
i use the lumicycle original halogen system, with 12w lights installed i think?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
mr Mag00 said:
ok i get your point!!! they are not for navigation, thnx for illustration. weell thats a bummer i wanted to extended my riding time onmy batteries, i think they sell longer life batteries.
i use the lumicycle original halogen system, with 12w lights installed i think?
:rolleyes:
I wasn't trying to beat you upside the head with it! I just thought I could make a better fist of the beam shots....
I've got the big lithium battery and it powers the 12w lamp for about 5 hours, the 5w for 8. If you've got a twin lamp set up then you could always run a 5w lamp with an additional 12w for the tricky bits.

If you're flush then there's always the new LED head unit, which will run for much longer than the halogen lamps and be brighter (in theory) than pretty much anything in those beam shots. Not cheap though.

Michael - the 20w is a spot. All my riding is on road, albeit mostly unlit round these parts. Hence I usually use the 20w with the 1w LED, depending on where I am.

mr Mag00

rising member
;) i am on the old Nimh system, seems i may have to save my pennies and invest in the LiIon
actually i badly puntuated that piece and i didnt mean to sound ungrateful or imaptient with the !!! it meant, my god i get ur point they are crap!!!

Top Bottom