Hi-spec lights, il-lumen-ate me please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
MichaelM said:
... and the lamp unit has recently disintegrated. I've just bought a Fenix L2D torch - now trying to decide wether to get rid of the Lumi set up...

Have you seen the spares available on the Lumicycle website? I have 2 sets of Lumis and they're all now upgraded with the tighter, better sealed switches and power lead sockets, not to mention new fresh bulbs.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Fiona N said:
Have you seen the spares available on the Lumicycle website? I have 2 sets of Lumis and they're all now upgraded with the tighter, better sealed switches and power lead sockets, not to mention new fresh bulbs.
One of the joys of the Lumi way, everything is user servicable. :biggrin:

No offence taken Mr M! I figured out that you weren't being tetchy. ;)

mr Mag00

rising member
i went in to see the guys a few years a go when i bought a second battery and lamp for my girlfriend, she has never used the lights ;). they were really great and made me feel very welcome

cbgb

I have just bought a Hope Vision One. Its a single bulb and puts out 240 Lumens. Its more than required. I commute through rural location and work often until the early hours. The back lanes which i use are pitch black but the 240 lumens allow me to go as quick as i can. Most of the journey i dont use the high setting (240 lumens) as its just to much and i feel like i am dazzeling oncoming vehicles (not that i come across much in the early hours). On the other hand it is useful when going quick downhill! The only reasons i can think of why one would require more than 240 lumens is downhill mountain bikeing or some other extreme sport but for commuting you dont need more than 240 Lumens

MichaelM

Guru
Fiona N said:

Oh yes, it turns out that not only has my lamp gone, but also the connector. I'd wanted to repair it on the cheap, but I need a complete new lamp assembly - which makes the LED head unit quite tempting....

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
MichaelM said:
Oh yes, it turns out that not only has my lamp gone, but also the connector. I'd wanted to repair it on the cheap, but I need a complete new lamp assembly - which makes the LED head unit quite tempting....
That's just the wiring loom that you're describing. £15.

Not that the new LED head unit isn't tempting anyway....:evil:

MichaelM

Guru
Chuffy said:
That's just the wiring loom that you're describing. £15.

You're right. £15 for a loom plus a new lamp (bulb) - cheaper than a complete new lamp unit.

Meanwhile..... there's a load of Lumi kit going over on STW classifieds if anyones after some lights....

MichaelM

Guru

MichaelM

Guru
Oh bugger....

The new bulb and loom arrived today. Connected it all up and still not working!

The battery has a 2 o/p lead. Connected one to the charger and the othe to the lamp and that works. In other words, the battery has gone... only £88 for a new battery! Time to write it off and go for something a bit smaller.

Anyone interested ina Ni-MH fast charger?

MichaelM

Guru
mr Mag00 said:
no thnx :biggrin:
i am interested in those homebrew batteries the guy on stw made, how would you go about it? anyone any ideas

First you need a fast charger.....

Connect up as many of whtever cell you have in series to give a 13.2V battery. Depending on the current rating of the cells, put as many of the 13.2 V batteries in parrallel for the desired A/Hour rating.

mr Mag00

rising member
I need to get my o level physics books out to really understand what u said.

you could send yours back and see if they can replace the damaged cells?

MichaelM

Guru
mr Mag00 said:
you could send yours back and see if they can replace the damaged cells?

But I'm not going to. If I'm going to be spending that much it will be on something smaller & lighter.

I've just cut the battery open. There are four cells in parallel. These four are in series with another "block" of 4 in parallel. This block of 8 is then in series with 3 other cells - each one in series. So each cell is 2.64 volts, 1 A/hour - I guess that's a 2.4V cell that's been overcharged - don't know what designation that would be though.

Top Bottom