Hi there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlosma

I recently moved to the country side and have been driving to work every day which is a 60 mile round trip.

I used to cycle to work from my old home which was 30 mile round trip. But since the move in december have not done anything at all.

I want to start cycling again and I hope to cycle to work .

My question is, am i a nutter to want to cycle 60 miles roundtrip every day or is this actually possible without burning my self out ?

I have a hybrid ridgeback cyclone bike with road wheels.

Is 60 miles to much ? can i train to cycle this .

Was also thinking of just doing some training before attempting to do this.

any suggestions would be appreciated?

regards

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It sounds like a rather serious commute.

I'm not going to call you a nutter; your colleagues will.

Maybe start with one day a week to get cycling fit again and add a day every few weeks and see how it goes.

Plax

Guru
I'd say nutter, especially to begin with :tongue:.
Since your obviously not a newbie at this cycling lark, it might be worth your while doing a dry run at the weekend first so you a) know you can do it and :thumbsup: have an idea of how long it will take.
Then perhaps cycle it once a week or every other day to begin with. I'm sure it is do-able providing you're not time poor. Just start out slow and take a few days off if your starting to flag.

Archie

Errrr.....
Why not split the commute between driving to somewhere pleasant then leave 30 miles to cycle? I say 30 miles 'cos I assume you have a life. 60 miles = 3 hours if your a strapping lad with lungs like bellows, more if not.

It is certainly a challenging distance! Every now and then, fine, but five days a week!
I admire your desire to try, though.
It might be 'easier'/more practical if you drove, say, 15-20 miles, parked the car and continued by bike, and the reverse for home, then you get to work and you get your miles in.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
My roundtrip commute is 48 miles. To be honest, this is not only tiring to do every working day (I'm not Tour de France material) but also very time consuming (fastest one way commute was 1 hr 20mins, but usually I'm 1hr 45mins). It means I can spend 3 1/2 hours commuting every day if I did that. Also, I have to say driving by car takes me about 25-30mins each way.

If you are really fit and doing good mileage, go for it. Or you could try what I do: find a place to park about halfway and cycle in. It's a compromize between cycling and a nod to practicality for me.

edit: forgot to add, at least one day a week, I do the full commute in.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I do 40 - 42 mile round trip 2 - 3 times each week, and that's plenty. If i do 2 consecutive days i'm pretty knackered, but then i'm 40 and trying to give up smoking. I started in February when it was very cold and that took it out of me a bit more, plus i was less fit.
I'd say do twice a week and try to keep it going through the winter, then by Spring you'll be very fit and ready to try 3 - 4 times.
Of course i know nothing about your age or fitness, so you might p*ss it !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do it once a week to start, maybe a couple eventually.

Last year, I was doing the 62 mile round commute once a week, but even with a good pace on, and picking the weather, this added 3 hours ride time to the working day - 6.30 depart for 8.30 start (including shower/getting dressed at work) then 5.30 depart for 7pm arrive home - a long day.

Better still - change jobs..... I did..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
60 mile round trip.
That's just nuts.. with great respect of course...

Top Bottom