Hi-Viz / reflective - pros & cons.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, you can drive with one eye. My Missus does, all declared, checked by a dvla appointed doctor and legal. She actually has 2 eyes, but only one functions. As aforementioned by myself, her insurance didn't rise, so the insurers don't regard it as an elevated "risk", though she was a police Advanced, response, pursuit, and TPAC driver in heyday, so she's better qualified than most advanced driver trainers.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are you allowed to drive with only one eye? Has she notified the DVLA?
Yes my friend lost his to cancer many years ago, and was allowed to drive subsequently until he lost the big battle. He found his depth perception wasn't as good but that his brain adapted to help.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Been quite a few trees and at least one lamppost wandering into the road during the last few weeks around here... :laugh:

I know lol

20160203_124250.jpg

Tim Hall

The legal eyesight standard for driving is a joke.
I went for my latest sight test last October, and according to the Optician, my eyesight WITHOUT glasses is ok for driving. I found that incredible as I wouldn't dream of going out on the road without corrected vision.
My contact lenses are +2.25 for the left eye, and +1.75 for the right. That sounds like bad eyesight to me, but apparently I can legally go out on public roads in a 44 tonne lorry without glasses or contacts!
Me too. (+2.25 &+1.00) Terrifying, isn't it!

But doesn't having a positive number on your prescription mean that you're farsighted, so seeing things in the distance (eg other road users) won't be a problem without glasses, it's seeing things close up (speedeometer for example) where it gets tricky. I'm short sighted, so can see my dashboard but not beyond the end of the bonnet.

Julia9054

Guru
But doesn't having a positive number on your prescription mean that you're farsighted, so seeing things in the distance (eg other road users) won't be a problem without glasses, it's seeing things close up (speedeometer for example) where it gets tricky. I'm short sighted, so can see my dashboard but not beyond the end of the bonnet.
You are right. I meant to write minus. I have been short sighted since I was a child.
Unfortunately I am starting now to become farsighted as well.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Disprove the peer reviewed academic research... and that's just one paper that questions the effectiveness of hi viz in many settings.
Looking at the abstract conclusions (pasted below, thanks for the link), the thrust is that riders should consider the environment they are riding in (crowded urban/inter urban/rural) if they seek to increase their 'conspicuity'. I agree with that, but you then jump to suggesting that it "questions the effectiveness of hi viz in many settings" whereas my take is that the study can be used to support some brightly coloured clothing and some reflective logos and stripes to help cyclist conspicuity in many settings. The paper also suggests that if drivers are expecting cyclists/bikers (what is a PTW? btw) then they'll see them better. No; really?

"CONCLUSIONS:

"The conspicuity of a PTW can be increased by using an appropriate rider's outfit that distinguishes him/her from the background scenery. Thus, PTW riders can actively increase their conspicuity by taking into account the driving route (crowded urban/inter urban), eventually increasing the probability of being detected by the other road users. In addition, increasing the alertness and expectancy of drivers to the presence of PTWs can increase their search conspicuity."

Brandane

Legendary Member
I need glasses for both! Originally it was just for reading, but now need them for driving too, especially at night. What a difference ten years makes; I used to have great sight - then I discovered computer screens :sad:.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is safety measured in 'ounces'? What about the hue (ie light/dark) of one's clothing? Surely you've driven up behind someone in poor light conditions and thought "he/she's a bit dark - some lighter hue clothing would have allowed me to see him/her more easily/earlier".

Top Bottom