High Def - can you tell the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

I held off getting Sky+HD for 18 months and recently plumbed for it and am loving it. The difference is amazing and I'm completely sold on HD, but here's the thing, my missus can't tell the difference between standard and high def programs and I wondered if other people were the same?

Yeah, one costs more.

I can see the difference.
Having said that, the up scaled SD picture on Virgin Media is excellent.
My wife is the same “can’t what all the fuss is about”

Shaun

Founder
Works for me!! :smile:

Mrs. Admin can't see the difference though; funnily enough she can't see 3D images at the cinema either.

Not sure if little Ms. Admin can tell - but then most of her telly is non-HD anyway (don't get me started on Hannah Montanna, I feel like I've seen every episode five times - oh, wait, I HAVE!!!! :ohmy:).

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

darkstar

Yeh I can tell the difference, I was in selfridges a few days agoe though and saw a new Samsung LCD 3D HDTV, and it was amazing. I was skeptical before hand but it blew me away. It cost £3000, but should come down ovet the next few months. though i can only imagine using it for films, I can't see people sitting down to watch sport, putting on the 3D glasses etc...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can I tell the difference?

It's screaming in your face obvious. On quite a few of the HD channels the sound is noticeably better, even without any proper equipment too. The sad thing is that quite a few of the HD channels aren't even that good picture quality wise and already deteriorated with the newer encoders and cranked down bitrates. Even old gen blu-ray players including the original PS3 look pretty shabby compared to latest stuff.

Keith Oates

Janner
They look very good in the shops when the are being fed by a special tape (disc or whatever) but when you get them home and feed them with the local TV channels the signal is not so good and the pictures on the screen never match what you have seen in the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brokenbetty

Über Member
I can see the difference, but once I'm watching the programme as opposed to looking at the picture, I'm not particularly aware of it. I don't enjoy the same programme more in HD.

Crankarm

Guru
But the programmes are still the same old crap :ohmy:.

I have some friends who have a 6ft wide LCD HD flat screen ULTRA 9000 3G+ all singing all dancing monstrosity. The image pixelates/freezes quite frequently especially when watching fast action scenes which can be a nightmare as it breaks up and part of the image can be lost. Also colour, tone and contrast rendition is crap compared to the best CRT screens of yester year. Shadows are too dark or black and bright areas such as sun on skin is blown out. It's all a load of marketing b0ll0cks as far as I can see telling people their old TVs are crap when they are not trying to get them to buy the next techological system. It is just like the hi-fi market where to apparently hear the best purest sound one has to buy this type of cd payer that type of cd player, same for amp and for speakers. It's absolute bullsh1t. But there are always those with more money than sense. End of rant.

darkstar

Crankarm said:
But the programmes are still the same old crap :ohmy:.

I have some friends who have a 6ft wide LCD HD flat screen ULTRA 9000 3G+ all singing all dancing monstrosity. The image pixelates/freezes quite frequently especially when watching fast action scenes which can be a nightmare as it breaks up and part of the image can be lost. Also colour, tone and contrast rendition is crap compared to the best CRT screens of yester year. Shadows are too dark or black and bright areas such as sun on skin is blown out. It's all a load of marketing b0ll0cks as far as I can see telling people their old TVs are crap when they are not trying to get them to buy the next techological system. It is just like the hi-fi market where to apparently hear the best purest sound one has to buy this type of cd payer that type of cd player, same for amp and for speakers. It's absolute bullsh1t. But there are always those with more money than sense. End of rant.
It's all about the contrast ratio when it comes to the shadows etc Just because your mate had a large flat screen TV doesnt mean it's a good picture. You can buy a 50 inch screen for £600 and a 32 inch screen for thousands. If you get a top quality Samsung, then the image is unbelievably good.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think I can tell the difference, but in truth the only thing I have really noticed it watching tennis; it is definately easier to see the ball whizzing around on the court in HD. Other than that I don't really see any benefit.

Andrew

Jezston

Über Member
Crankarm said:
But the programmes are still the same old crap :becool:.

To be fair that sounds more like they have a crap TV and crap reception.

I have a 32" Hi-Def CRT TV. That's right, an HD CRT TV. It's got an HDMI port and everything. Contrast is amazing. Detail and geometry are, however, crap.

Top Bottom