High intensity budget Day time running lights suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It may make you more conspicuous, but at the expense of compromising the ability of observers to accurately judge your speed.

Honda and Suzuki have done research and established an increased risk of collision from overbight daylime light use, as the bright lights break up the riders outline and thus deprive the observer of the visual datum required for their brains to calculate speed, that being the rate at which your outline grows or diminishes in relation to your background.

Next time you're on the road you dan see this phenomenon in action for yourself amo g motorcyclists who use headlamps during the day.

If you must use them during the day relatively low power is preferable.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
There are a hell of a lot of weekend cyclists that run through my village and the main thing I notice ( as well as a hell of a lot of them wearing dark clothing) is as they pass from light to darkness ( in the shadows of trees and what not) they almost vanish from sight, hence my thoughts on lights,. I tend to ride off road paths with the occasional short run on road between tracks. I also ride motorcycles and have seen some of the research on motorcycle day time running light so see the point you are making, but in my case I'm never running in anything but very light traffic ( or non existent) and very rarely at speed. I will also have a look at high viz t shirts and what not.

Alex321

Veteran
There are a hell of a lot of weekend cyclists that run through my village and the main thing I notice ( as well as a hell of a lot of them wearing dark clothing) is as they pass from light to darkness ( in the shadows of trees and what not) they almost vanish from sight, hence my thoughts on lights,. I tend to ride off road paths with the occasional short run on road between tracks. I also ride motorcycles and have seen some of the research on motorcycle day time running light so see the point you are making, but in my case I'm never running in anything but very light traffic ( or non existent) and very rarely at speed. I will also have a look at high viz t shirts and what not.

It really doesn't need to be high intensity, just moderately bright and flashing. That will draw the attention without being enough to obscure position.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm looking for the above to give me a bit more visibility in my countryside riding any ideas ?

Personally I use a Moon Mizar front light, it has a number of flashing options where the flashing isn't too intensive, and a couple of constant options, the light itself is tiny so the flashing modes should last a while, the constant modes will probably only give you an hour or two of light.

Alternatives to consider: Lezyne Femto USB, a long running flashing light.

On ebay: I've seen some old stock " RSP spectral" bike lights, usb chargeable, with up to 9 hours run time in flash mode, 35 lumens, good for daytime visibility £9

Amazon cheap bike lights: Any number of these budget lights designed to be attached to the handlebars with a rubber strap, they're usually lightweight, rechargeable, quality is highly variable, some will be very well designed products whilst others will have all kinds of ill conceived flash modes or colour options, but they're all cheap and on amazon.

Top Bottom