High Level Brake Lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
The same stuff as the trucks that takes the ores from mines to build those polluting gas guzzlers?
You're not having a pop at our American cousins are you - ? :laugh:

Oh and after watching 'another' YouTube about EVs lat night, I checked that the 'average' price of a new EV is about £50,000. :eek:
That's us and I daresay a lot of others out of the running for one without having to have a sizeable loan to pay for it - ! :whistle:

icowden

Veteran
Oh and after watching 'another' YouTube about EVs lat night, I checked that the 'average' price of a new EV is about £50,000. :eek:
That's us and I daresay a lot of others out of the running for one without having to have a sizeable loan to pay for it - ! :whistle:
Absolutely. They are expensive. The average is a little skewed as there are many very expensive over 50k models and few under 50k models. The Nissan Leaf Accenta is yours for around 30k, and it's not a bad car.

A lot of brands have taken a leaf out of Tesla's book. Whereas with an ICE car you start at say 15k then add on multiple packs until you have all the functions and comfort you want resulting in a 25k price. many EVs come with *everything*. Exceptions are the Enyak. The Leaf, The VW ID range and Tesla all have almost no add-ons.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
With all the ballyhoo ref. the costs of charging EVs away from home, does such a charger tell you how much any particular charge has cost once you've finished charging up - ? Or do you have to wait 'til you get your bank / credit card statement to find out - ? :whistle:
Obviously, with ICE cars, you know that as soon as you've filled up.

figbat

Slippery scientist
With all the ballyhoo ref. the costs of charging EVs away from home, does such a charger tell you how much any particular charge has cost once you've finished charging up - ? Or do you have to wait 'til you get your bank / credit card statement to find out - ? :whistle:
Obviously, with ICE cars, you know that as soon as you've filled up.

My charger comes with an app into which I can add my electricity tariff info and it'll tell me what the cost is per charge. The app for the car will do this too, although this only measures energy received whereas the charger app records energy delivered. There is a small difference.

Alex321

Veteran
My charger comes with an app into which I can add my electricity tariff info and it'll tell me what the cost is per charge. The app for the car will do this too, although this only measures energy received whereas the charger app records energy delivered. There is a small difference.

He was asking about the away from home chargers - do they tell you how much you are being charged, the way a fuel pump does?

figbat

Slippery scientist
He was asking about the away from home chargers - do they tell you how much you are being charged, the way a fuel pump does?

Aaaah. :blush: Again this will be delivered via whatever app is associated with the charger being used. Most will show you how much energy was delivered in kW.h but I haven't seen one that shows you a price on the readout like a petrol pump does.

icowden

Veteran
It's a good question. I haven't had to use a paid for charger yet only free ones and my home charger.
I do know that they tell you the price per kwh up front, and the app associated will tell you how many kwh you put into the car (as will the car if you ask it). I don't know if it does the maths for you though.

I watched a BP Pulse video, and they definitely tell you what you paid when you stop charging.

View: https://youtu.be/7qQzihmQVvo

bppulse.png

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Auto hold works on the main hydraulic brake circuits, and means the brake lights stay on just as if you'd left your foot on the pedal. I find it doesn't release as cleanly as the EPB on hills, so I use the EPB instead. No brake lights to dazzle the driver behind, either.

However - most cars on the road don't have auto hold. It's just crap driving because the drivers can't be arsed to use their left hand.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, but the point is it's crap driving that many of them have actually been taught. Those ones think they are doing the right thing.
Some driving instructors apparently teach pupils it's ok to undertake on a dual carriageway, as long as it's an urban dual carriageway. This may be common practice in many towns but it's a "should not" in the Highway Code unless the road is congested and slow-moving. Undertaking in a blacked-out BMW at 70mph in a 40 is not what the DSA had in mind.

Driving instructors often drive appallingly when alone in the car. Seen it many times (unless someone else has borrowed their car!)

My Kodiaq is a ‘pain in the proverbial’, as it has an electronic handbrake that applies when stationary
It has the downside of keeping brake lights on

If l can drift to a halt, & use the ‘manual’ handbrake button, then the brake-lights don’t come on
I noticed, not long after this, that if I apply the 'manual' handbrake button, the brake-lights go off after a couple of seconds, as it takes over the duty

mustang1

Legendary Member
In a manual a good way to fark your clutch is to sit in gear at traffic lights with clutch and brake applied

ditto for an auto, far better for the gearbox to pop it into park at the lights rather than sit in drive with foot brake applied. Also in Park you don't need to mess about with (electronic) handbrakes etc (maybe if on a really steep slope)

Someone told me that if you sit in traffic with the car in Park, and you have auxiliary stuff running (air con, heated seats, etc), then it drains the battery which is particularly bad in a hybrid car.

I used to put the car into Neutral when stationery but leave it in Drive now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Someone told me that if you sit in traffic with the car in Park, and you have auxiliary stuff running (air con, heated seats, etc), then it drains the battery which is particularly bad in a hybrid car.

I used to put the car into Neutral when stationery but leave it in Drive now.

I think you misheard them, if the cark is PARKED (ergo with engine off) and with electrical stuff running / connected it will drain the battery.

The alternator charges the battery whilst the engine is on, regardless of the position of the gear lever, although not charging as much when sat ticking over as it does on higher revs whilst driving.

Top Bottom