High Level Brake Lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I would imagine that all EVs have auto hold as well. Once I have braked in the ID4, the car holds the brake until I decide to drive again.

My MINI Electric doesn't have auto-hold per se, but it does do hill start assist. If facing uphill, when you come to a standstill it will use the traction motor to hold the car steady. However if you are facing downhill it won't, so will roll slowly forward against the motor. I have to use the electric handbrake manually if I want it to stay still. The handbrake releases automatically when you accelerate though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's just the way people drive these days, they sit at lights with the car in gear clutch & brake pressed down. They have no concept of vehicle mechanisms or for that matter any concern about them. As to the argument about then being auto I suspect not as the majority of cars on the UK are manual.

There never was a 3 point turn on the test, it was always TIR turn on road using forward & reverse gears, no mention of the number of movements. It's still in the test but for whatever reason it's not implemented

You lose if you can't do it in three ! Time to pack in driving if you can't ! :laugh:

I use my (manual) handbrake a lot, was taught 'when a pause becomes a wait' by my instructor its best to use it. I like being able to relax my feet when stopped, esp if it's for some time.

I've driven a friend's Auto ('20 plate Kia Stonic) a little and love it, I'm definately considering an Auto for my next car though I'll be looking at the gearbox setup closely before I do. The Kia has stop start and some other things I like, it's a PITA to demist though, just not quick at all!

D

Deleted member 26715

Nah - don't bother with gearboxes. They are very much last year's accessory... :whistle:

Alternatively pay through the nose for the latest fad, which could well be obsolete in 20 years

icowden

Veteran
Nah - don't bother with gearboxes. They are very much last year's accessory... :whistle:

Well I could Fred Flintstone it and push it along lol

The gearbox had a manual option is what I wanted to look at more closely, you flick the stick to the right and can shift up/down as you want. Personally I didn't think I would need that and it already confused me a little as I kept doing it by accident.

D

Deleted member 26715

Seems unlikely. Why would automakers invest half a trillion if they didn't think it was the way forward?
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...-target-515-billion-evs-batteries-2021-11-10/

Why pay for a car which is definitely going to be obsolete in 7 years or so, and which will get increasingly expensive to maintain and fuel?

So defensive, you've nailed your colours to the mask like a good little Brexiteer, suspect you are also an iPhone user as well.

As to the manufacturers, they were given ample time to make other arrangements, but they thought they had the clout to force Governments into extending the timeline, it was only when they realised they weren't as powerful as they thought they were, they come up with an alternative quickly, as Mr Musk had proved it could work they all jumped on the bandwagon, proven by how far ahead his vehicles are.

EV's are as unsustainable as ICE, there has to be a different option or a huge change in social behaviour, I feel sorry for my Grandchildren & definitely my Grandchildren's grandchildren if they are daft enough to bring any into the world.

Alex321

Veteran
So defensive, you've nailed your colours to the mask like a good little Brexiteer, suspect you are also an iPhone user as well.
What on earth does his response have to do with either Brexit or iPhones (and what is wrong with being an iPhone user anyhow, I prefer Android, but wouldn't denigrate anybody for using iPhone)

As to the manufacturers, they were given ample time to make other arrangements, but they thought they had the clout to force Governments into extending the timeline, it was only when they realised they weren't as powerful as they thought they were, they come up with an alternative quickly, as Mr Musk had proved it could work they all jumped on the bandwagon, proven by how far ahead his vehicles are.

It wasn't just a case of "jumping on the bandwagon", that is the only current reasonable alternative. Other alternatives may become reasonable with time, but that remains to be seeen.

EV's are as unsustainable as ICE,
That is simply false.

there has to be a different option or a huge change in social behaviour, I feel sorry for my Grandchildren & definitely my Grandchildren's grandchildren if they are daft enough to bring any into the world.

While I tend to agree, that is not mainly because of continued reliance on personal powered transport.

D

Deleted member 26715

What on earth does his response have to do with either Brexit or iPhones (and what is wrong with being an iPhone user anyhow, I prefer Android, but wouldn't denigrate anybody for using iPhone)
You are a convert, just like the other examples given, it will not matter about anything I put you will not believe it,
It wasn't just a case of "jumping on the bandwagon", that is the only current reasonable alternative. Other alternatives may become reasonable with time, but that remains to be seeen.
Yes it was, they had ample time to look for other solutions, but their hands were forced, they when with the easiest solution available, had they not sat on their laurels years ago there would have been viable other options.
That is simply false.
No it is not, currently the way into EV's is either through wealth or stupidity (PCP) if everybody was to have an EV how do you think the already creaking generating system would cope? It would turn back to burning fossil fuels.

It is also not proven yet what damage to the environment the mining of Lithium in South America, using fossil fuel to get it to China to be reprocessed using fossil fuels, to be shipped to car manufacturers country via fossil fuel to eventually find its way to the UK via fossil fuel. We then have the disposal of the then depleted batteries to content with at some point in the future.

gbb

Legendary Member

The gearbox had a manual option is what I wanted to look at more closely, you flick the stick to the right and can shift up/down as you want. Personally I didn't think I would need that and it already confused me a little as I kept doing it by accident.

Interestingly, I think this sounds like a semi auto. I watch a lot of YT videos and there's a regular on there, car dealer, High Peak Autos. One of his videos was the best autos under £5k I think. Almost without exception, he rejected VWs, Audis, some Japanese and many other cars for their semi auto boxes. Or dual clutches..they will almost inevitably cause the owner problems, more so than a normal auto or manual gearbox.

D

Deleted member 26715

Interestingly, I think this sounds like a semi auto. I watch a lot of YT videos and there's a regular on there, car dealer, High Peak Autos. One of his videos was the best autos under £5k I think. Almost without exception, he rejected VWs, Audis, some Japanese and many other cars for their semi auto boxes. Or dual clutches..they will almost inevitably cause the owner problems, more so than a normal auto or manual gearbox.
All the fairly modern auto's I've driven can also be driven in semi mode, more often then not you push the gearstick sideways to get into manual, then forwards & backwards to change gear, some have flappy paddles in the steering wheel. TBH not sure why they do it, as the ECU will limit you to when you can & can't change anyway. Some say it's better if you're towing to hold the gear a bit longer, or drop down earlier to use what engine braking there is, other use can be in snow or very slippy conditions. I've always found that after a couple of minutes playing with the gears, just shove it in drive & let the ECU work it out.

It's definately got a semi auto mode, I didn't spend enough time driving it yet to understand it so I ignored it.

Top Bottom