High Level Brake Lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
So defensive, you've nailed your colours to the mask like a good little Brexiteer, suspect you are also an iPhone user as well.
The mark is about 2 miles over there to the right. That's how far off you are. Wouldn't use an iPhone as I don't like them or the Apple ecosystem and I'm definitely a Remainer.

As to the manufacturers, they were given ample time to make other arrangements, but they thought they had the clout to force Governments into extending the timeline, it was only when they realised they weren't as powerful as they thought they were, they come up with an alternative quickly, as Mr Musk had proved it could work they all jumped on the bandwagon, proven by how far ahead his vehicles are.
So you agree that EV is the way forward.

EV's are as unsustainable as ICE, there has to be a different option or a huge change in social behaviour, I feel sorry for my Grandchildren & definitely my Grandchildren's grandchildren if they are daft enough to bring any into the world.
And then you don't?

Are you Jeremy Corbyn?

icowden

Veteran
so glad I didn't lease an ioniq 5
Why? They are excellent cars.

Anyhoo - returning to the point, EVs don't have handbrakes and seldom use actual braking except when they need to hold. Expect brake light behaviour to be somewhat different to old fashioned ICE cars with their gears and levers.

Sallar55

Veteran
EV's may be the way forward for now, do you know why most cars are scrapped? Usually its the electrics and the computers that fail before the mechanical bits 🫢 . One merc driver had a quote for £18k when the EV's battery had issues, ended up going to the scrapyard. Cost a fortune in time to replace and thats not factoring in the parts. Has anyone seen a copper or lithium mine? A copper mine we visited has a massive hole you can see from space,needs a fuel train to feed the giant dump trucks that haul the ore out.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
EV's may be the way forward for now, do you know why most cars are scrapped? Usually its the electrics and the computers that fail before the mechanical bits 🫢 . One merc driver had a quote for £18k when the EV's battery had issues, ended up going to the scrapyard. Cost a fortune in time to replace and thats not factoring in the parts. Has anyone seen a copper or lithium mine? A copper mine we visited has a massive hole you can see from space,needs a fuel train to feed the giant dump trucks that haul the ore out.

If you mean this guy:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/mercedes-owner-horrified-new-battery-6545540

That wasn't an EV. And he is apparently the only "horrified" person. ICE cars also use Copper (they have wires you know). EV tech is trying to move away from Lithium.

Your first statement is why you shouldn't buy an EV from a company that makes ICE cars and hasn't completely rebuilt their build process for an electric vehicle. Audi and Merc are just an ICE car with a battery stuck on it. No innovation and little development. Tesla and Polestar have built their EVs from the ground up.

tinywheels

Über Member
Why? They are excellent cars.

Anyhoo - returning to the point, EVs don't have handbrakes and seldom use actual braking except when they need to hold. Expect brake light behaviour to be somewhat different to old fashioned ICE cars with their gears and levers.

I didn't lease it as electricity went through the roof.
It will probably stay expensive for now,so I will wait and see.

gbb

Legendary Member
Re the brake lights left on, for me, its quite simple, bad habits that many people evolve, me included sometimes.
Arrive at a temporary stop, if I see myself moving off in a few seconds, I will rest my foot on the brake, then move off when appropriate, with a couple provisos.
I wouldn't wait for more than say 10 seconds, I'd just put the handbrake on.
Sometimes I just put the brake on anyway, with electronic brakes, you don't even have to release them to move off (on my car at least )
If someone were behind me, I wouldn't do it at all (knowingly anyway), just use the parking brake, I don't like sitting behind cars unnecessarily illuminated, why would I do it to someone else ?

It also might be an adaptation people make that are overly worried about those coming up behind them, fear of being rear ended. I do it if I'm sat on the TLs on the exit off the motorway, car comes up behind, I will just give the brakes a couple stabs to hopefully alert any un-alert drivers

icowden

Veteran
Fair enough. It's costing me a fortune. Almost £7.50 for a full tank when charging at home, off peak on an EV tariff. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Range is about 250 miles, so if I double it compared to my Scenic that's £15ish vs £100ish...

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
It will probably stay expensive for now,so I will wait and see

Fuels also went through the roof, for linked reasons. It seems odd to worry about increasing electricity costs whilst blindly hosing record-high prices petrol/diesel into cars. Fuel costs have come down a bit since the peak but remain high and will only increase as demand falls and other geopolitical and financial situations change.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't have high level brake lights but I was looking in the dark last night to see if the brake lights stay on when stopped in auto-hold mode. They don't stay on. So my lights are only on when the actual brake pedal is activated. I have also seen many a driver stop at lights for ages with car in gear and feet on clutch/brake. Not good for the clutch springs and annoying for the person behind. But it seems more people these days are not bothered about either of the above

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Has anyone seen a copper or lithium mine? A copper mine we visited has a massive hole you can see from space,needs a fuel train to feed the giant dump trucks that haul the ore out.
Indeed. This is the 'thinking' of many of folk, similar to budget clothes shops and maybe butchers. If they 'deny' being aware of the way that the end product gets into the shops, they can protest innocence about the harm such processes are doing to society, the planet etc., etc.. :whistle:
And of course, what fuels the humungous trucks that take the ores from said mines to build our nice 'eco friendly' car batteries - ? :blush:

Top Bottom