High-viz jackets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Cubist said:
Police and other hi-viz has an abundance of reflective scotchlite striping. It picks up car lights very well. Thus I think we need to differentiate between a jacket that is bright yellow or whether it has a lot of reflective trim.

I'd only count reflectives as high vis - and not all reflectives at that, which is why my comment about BS EN 471 earlier. Anything without reflective tape is just bright clothing.

Incidentally, for the Altura Nightvision wearers, I've only ever seen photos of these from the front - have they got the same amount of reflective at the back?

Cubist said:
Without wanting to inflame any debates or start any rows, think about the way insurance companies work. Whether or not hi-viz works to make you noticed, when all goes horribly wrong and a car takes you out, the question will be asked about whether you were wearing hi-viz.

I thought that was a bit of an urban myth now. Haven't the CTC got insurance companies out of that habit - or at least dismissed it as a reason not to pay out?

Cubist said:
I read a tip somewhere on here or some other lighting thread, which suggested mounting a flashing led on the bars facing the rider, thus giving the reflective trim on your jacket something to reflect without relying on the angle of car headlights.

:wacko:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
purplepolly said:
I still don't understand why people are so concerned about headlight angles. Since this thread has started I've been checking this on my way home and my bike lights (angled slightly left and slightly down) always light up reflectives on the other side of the road (even 4 lane roads) and more than a cars stopping distance away. Ok, a car waiting at a left hand side road won't light up the relfectives, but on a busy urban road, there's usually oncoming traffic to do the job.

I agree it's no replacement for good lights and sensible cycling, but jackets cover a large area that's higher up than most lights. Unless you're wearing lights all around your helmet, then this does make you more visible in heavy traffic. As car driver and a bus passenger I've often spotted hi-viz vests ahead at night when the bike lights are hidden by surrounding cars.

+1. And car lights normally have much more spread and scatter.

Of course this is all total crap.I may not drive a car but am capable of driving a train at 100mph and generally do so it is quite useful to know when there are track workers around as they may have 30 seconds or less to get out of the way.so if I can blow a warning at the quickest opportunity that does help.Hi-Viz during thje day and Hi-Viz with stripes during the night come in useful during the night come in useful for this purpose and believe me railway lines can tend to be a bit more darker than roads.

Oh by the way thread hi-jacked yet again as the general purpose of this thread at the start was to find the bestcheapest hi-viz not whether they were deemed as crap by the boards know it all and User3143.

Originally Posted by Cubist
Without wanting to inflame any debates or start any rows, think about the way insurance companies work. Whether or not hi-viz works to make you noticed, when all goes horribly wrong and a car takes you out, the question will be asked about whether you were wearing hi-viz.

I was thinking this but sometimes I'd think a lawyer would find any loophole round anything.

purplepolly

hackbike 666 said:
Oh by the way thread hi-jacked yet again as the general purpose of this thread at the start was to find the bestcheapest hi-viz not whether they were deemed as crap by the boards know it all and User3143.
Uhm, hackbike, you didn't join the thread yourself until it got hijacked . Of which I'm also guilty of myself, but I don't think hijacking should be restricted only to people who agree with me, even when I am obviously right.:wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would still like BentMikey to tell me why various jobs require hi-vis to be worn (usually being fluoresent and having a specific amount of reflective material of particular dimensions), if it doesn't help you to be more visiable.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
User3143 said:
... the assumption that being lit up light a Christmas would guarentee your safety.

I'm not sure any of the pro high vis people on here assume that.

I think you need to calm down and take a step back. Me and 'know it all':rolleyes: have never said not to wear hi-vis only that having a more assertive position on the road would help more rather then the assumption that being lit up light a Christmas would guarentee your safety.

Yawn.

I would still like BentMikey to tell me why various jobs require hi-vis to be worn (usually being fluoresent and having a specific amount of reflective material of particular dimensions), if it doesn't help you to be more visiable.

My job but I think it's a H+S requirement unlike the 'old' days when I firststarted when it wasn't required.

purplepolly said:
Uhm, hackbike, you didn't join the thread yourself until it got hijacked . Of which I'm also guilty of myself, but I don't think hijacking should be restricted only to people who agree with me, even when I am obviously right.:blush:

I did actually notice the thread and may have browsed it but I didn't post originally because it was about buying a hi-vis vest of which im not an expert on although it became obvious that the thread became hijacked when it shouldn't have been.

You may notice I don't tend to post on threat of which the subject matter I know nothing about.HTH

I had on a Hi Vis Gillet, it didn't stop SMIDSY in his Blacked out Range rover trying to run me down. Then again perhaps he spotted it at the last moment, perhaps he didn't. Good positioning was definately more important in keeping me alive but I also rather have had that Hi-Vis chance.

OP
OP
A

allen-uk

Well, you gang have certainly taught me a couple of lessons.

1) Don't mention H-V.

2) Throw away all my H-V gear and go out in black, as I'll be just as safe.

Thanks for the education.

A.

I have a confession to make.After yet another argument with BM yesterday I left for my commute and within 2 minutes up the Leyton High Road I had a car pull out on me.(By this time I had forgotten I was wearing Hi-Vis and so had he)I can't be bothered to explain the situation but another car was involved.The offender didn't bother to look and there was no sign of a SMIDSY comment although im not fu***** surprised he didn't see me as he didn't f****** look.I wouldn't have seen me if I wasn't looking.It was a kid anyway probably found the road situation to complicated for his young brain.Then a further 2 minutes up the road and I witnessed a car going through a red traffic signal.I really believe he/she didn't see it although I don't actually know what he/she was doing in his/her car.

Then on Waterloo rounderbout as I was coming off from Stamford St some tithead of a cab driver totally unpredictable with his road positioning came hairing round the rounderbout to cross in front of me and get stopped by a car standing at a red traffic light there.So I gave the tithead the look.Nice you saved two seconds to get absolutely nowhere you mug.

allen-uk said:
Well, you gang have certainly taught me a couple of lessons.

1) Don't mention H-V.

2) Throw away all my H-V gear and go out in black, as I'll be just as safe.

Thanks for the education.

A.

Same here.In fact i'd better not mention anything.:blush:

...the assumption that being lit up light a Christmas would guarentee your safety

I have three on my bag.I have no idea what they are doing when I am going along and sometimes I have got home to find one or more not working.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The thing that needs to be remembered, as with the helmet debate, is that there are extremes of opinion both for & against, neither of which are particularly conclusive.

Helmets & HiVi are there to lessen potential danger and neither can stop accidents or harm in every circumstance.

If your riding is assertive, positive and visable you 'shouldn't' need either, but both have their uses in certain conditions.

My choice is to wear a HiVi vest(with reflective strips)on dull, overcast days and at dawn/dusk, the rest of the time I wear black with reflective bits.
I only wear ankle reflectors at night on the road bike because I have double sided spd pedals without reflectors.
My crash helmet comes out on wet and windy days as the chances of me taking a spill are increased.
I also have uber lights which run bright in the day as well as at night.
At all times my riding keeps me visible.

Wearing a helmet or HiVi shouldn't make you feel safer or more confident, they are more parts of cycling kit that are a valid part of road safety, but only at certain times.

There will always be motorists that don't see you, whatever you wear, and it's only alert and positive riding will actually help you in this situation.