High-viz jackets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think im off form at the moment.;)

I'm 6'1" and a bit and I was 13.5 stone when I was 17and playing Rugby (in the three quarters) and was fighting fit, I've been as low as 14st since then but really looked thin

it's about build as much as height

Aye.

BentMikey said:
Of course the other option is not to wear hiviz, and instead make sure you have a decent light front and rear, and legal bike reflectors, and put the remainder towards a copy of cyclecraft.

Why was this post necessary?

Started the whole hijack of thread didn't it?

I was also thinking about this and it reminded me of that incident last year.If that twat who had been cycling off of the pavement into the road with no lights had a bit of hi-viz and reflective stripes I may have seen him earlier and not almost crashed into him.

Also quite a few cyclists have one rear light which is badly positioned or the battery is running out which makes it insufficient while they are dressed in black again.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, this one really runs!

Hackers, I reckon you have to wear hiviz at work so a train driver will see you if you're on the tracks, and be able to stop in time. Err, oh there's something wrong with that picture!

BentMikey said:
LOL, this one really runs!

Hackers, I reckon you have to wear hiviz at work so a train driver will see you if you're on the tracks, and be able to stop in time. Err, oh there's something wrong with that picture!

It's a thorny issue.

Sully

Über Member
Well I recon Ive dropped one been onto discount cycles and ordered a Altura Nightvision only to realise Ive ordered the Windproof one instead of the waterproof, fool or what anyway Ive e-mailed em to see if I can pay the extra ? great price tho me thinks

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I agree with Lee actually. The reflectives are good, sometimes even very bright, and might be great if you're one of those cyclists with the dim green LED on the front, and a rear light covered by your jacket tailflap.

I still don't think they are as good as proper lights in terms of visibility, and the reflectives aren't reliable in the way a light is. Lights are always visible, reflectives don't always reflect back.

p.s. to the poster asking about what hiviz actually is, to me it's the combination of fluo for daylight visibility, and reflectives for night time. AFAIK that's the general usage of it.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
BentMikey said:
I still don't think they are as good as proper lights in terms of visibility, and the reflectives aren't reliable in the way a light is. Lights are always visible, reflectives don't always reflect back.

Perhaps it's the way you phrase it and I'm misunderstanding, but that still implies high vis as an alternative to lights rather than as a complement.

Maybe I noticed more because I had this thread in mind, but I saw two or three guys this morning who were visible because of their high vis when their lights (being lower down) were obscured by cars etc.

User3143 said:
What's up with you? Think you need to calm Hackers, go and watch the film Trainspotting

Yet another boring train related unfunny joke.Stick to truck driving an trolling as comedian doesn't suit you.Thanks.Also agree with HF.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
BentMikey said:
Yeah, I agree with Lee actually. The reflectives are good, sometimes even very bright, and might be great if you're one of those cyclists with the dim green LED on the front, and a rear light covered by your jacket tailflap.

Lights are good from the back/front, but from angles off to the side, that is when reflectives CAN come into play. Its all about giving motorists as many chances as possible to see you (position, lights, reflectives, fluoro (day)).

Nobody never said that Hi-Viz is an alternative to lights did they?
Funnily enough wearing black with no lights seems to be the popular thing nowadays as an alternative as I saw this morning.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
summerdays said:
Lights are good from the back/front, but from angles off to the side, that is when reflectives CAN come into play. Its all about giving motorists as many chances as possible to see you (position, lights, reflectives, fluoro (day)).

Your lights should be visible from the side, so again hiviz doesn't have any useful addition to your safety.

hackbike 666 said:
Nobody never said that Hi-Viz is an alternative to lights did they?
Funnily enough wearing black with no lights seems to be the popular thing nowadays as an alternative as I saw this morning.

Yup, to me it's irrelevant whether hiviz is an addition or an "or" to lights. It's not reliable, and it doesn't increase safety usefully.

Nothing wrong with the black, but no lights in the dark? That's clearly stupid.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
BentMikey said:
Your lights should be visible from the side, so again hiviz doesn't have any useful addition to your safety.

Yup, to me it's irrelevant whether hiviz is an addition or an "or" to lights. It's not reliable, and it doesn't increase safety usefully.

As usual, Mike, you're wrong. Hiviz is more useful than reflectives in ordinary street lighting. It provides a large light-coloured patch of visibility from a decent distance - much further than reflectives, even if car headlights happen to pick them up. And hiviz is very useful in poor daylight, when lights don't work because it's too light and reflectives don't work because no-one has headlights on.

At this time of year in a city I would never be without it - it is a very useful addition to two sets of lights, and since my hiviz also has reflectives they will on occasion provide additional visibility.