Hill intervals: Improve your climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
The fact of the matter is LOCO is training by pushing him self hard(er) up the hills, but he doesn't want to admit to training. If you prefer I can change the paraphrase to - "I train on the hills because I want to fool myself into thinking that I'm not doing training when I cycle."

Dan B

Disengaged member
The point I was trying to make is that you are working on the power needed to maintain that speed rather than accelerate up to it, therefore constant acceleration is not required. Going up hill, gravity dominates, on the flat aerodynamic drag dominates
That makes sense. Horses for courses though, I can believe that in some places it's easier to find a hill than to find a road on which it's safe and comfortable (due to traffic, junctions, etc) to ride at the speeds necessary to produce the same power on the flat.

Ningishzidda

'Hill training' is training to climb hills.
Training on the flat stood out of the saddle is 'sprint training'.

Don't get the two confused.

400bhp

Guru
The fact of the matter is LOCO is training by pushing him self hard(er) up the hills, but he doesn't want to admit to training. If you prefer I can change the paraphrase to - "I train on the hills because I want to fool myself into thinking that I'm not doing training when I cycle."

He never said he wasn't or was training

Your post
"Most people don't have the motivation to train properly."
is extremely one dimensioned. Properly for what? Not everyone wants to train and / or race. That does not mean either they don't have the motivation, or that they are not training "properly"

Only when you know what someone wants achieve (if anything) can you deduce whether someone is training properly.

Which is exactly why LOCO wrote what he did, although more succinctly put would be some of you more serious "racers" are missing the bigger picture.

There are other verbs to describe cycling, even when it becomes tough. I actually enjoy pushing hard up hills. Am I training, enjoying,learning. Perhaps all three.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I'd paraphrase this down to - "Most people don't have the motivation to train properly."
and this is where hill repeats might be more productive for someone like the op, and most of us that normlly cycle for pleasure. I couldn't stand doing intervals and pushing it on my commute, I don't need to commute I have the cars, petrol not a real issue its even much quicker I commute because I enjoy it. I ride sometimes at the weekend because I enjoy it.

Not that hill repeats really appeal to me but I can understand why someone would consider them better for the reason you state in your paraphrase only replace have the motivation with want..

lukesdad

I train on the fens, it'd the epitome of flat. The very opposite of where I race/TT the Alps. Come race day push out exactly the same power for exactly the same durations I would on the fens. When a group of my Italian friends came to the UK & we rode together guess what, our relative performance levels where nearly the same. (Actually this isn't quite true, my performance increases relative to theirs, as expected due to my higher absolute power given similar we all have W/kg & I'm heavy)

You try to tell me I need hills to climb I say you don't because my training & performances say I don't.
Hmm , perhaps the pro's should be doing all their pre season training on indoor tracks in Newport or Manchester, rather than the pyrenees then ;)

Ningishzidda

I am applying for a patent on an attachment for Tacx i-Genius.
Its a motorised platform which elevates the BlackTrack steering pad ( and front of the bike ) when a hill is simulated.

GrasB

Veteran
He never said he wasn't or was training

Your post is extremely one dimensioned. Properly for what
Almost everyone who rides a bike does training! However most people manage to maximise the time they're training & get close to the minimum benefit from it while minimise the time they're taking advantage of that training. That's not training properly by any definition.

Not everyone wants to train and / or race. That does not mean either they don't have the motivation, or that they are not training "properly"

Only when you know what someone wants achieve (if anything) can you deduce whether someone is training properly
I assume you're associating training as high effort performance training. That makes you one with the single dimension with regard to training & not training.

The moment you start riding beyond your active recovery zone you're putting a load on your body that it needs to adapt to. That is training, it can be done at a low level, but is training none the less. The moment you go beyond an endurance threshold you're also training. Both of those can be done at very low effort levels, levels where the person in question doesn't need to be aware of them. This is where the default state of knackerdness comes in. This is the level that you normally train to, at some point you'll hit a brick wall where your exertion level only maintains rather than increases your fitness, strength, endurance or any combination of those 3. The fact you've taken so much offence to the statement shows you're a clown with an agenda in this case because it was nothing more than a distillation of a statement into it's true meaning. I didn't push the fact people should train properly only that they aren't motivated to do it. If they're not motivated to train properly then that's their choice.

GrasB

Veteran
Hmm , perhaps the pro's should be doing all their pre season training on indoor tracks in Newport or Manchester, rather than the pyrenees then ;)
At the power levels pros push out keeping the cadence low enough to put load on the right muscle fibres becomes a problem on the flat. You would be looking at >70t chainrings.

GrasB

Veteran
'Hill training' is training to climb hills.
Training on the flat stood out of the saddle is 'sprint training'.

Don't get the two confused.
Sprint training is pushing hard enough to deplete your ATP reserves in a few seconds. This training causes your body to make bigger ATP reserves & develops the muscle fibres associated with very high output.

Hill training is developing higher maximal blood oxygen levels & at the higher end of the performance scale more tolerance to acidic power production in the correct muscle fibres.

400bhp

Guru
Almost everyone who rides a bike does training! However most people manage to maximise the time they're training & get close to the minimum benefit from it while minimise the time they're taking advantage of that training. That's not training properly by any definition.

I assume you're associating training as high effort performance training. That makes you one with the single dimension with regard to training & not training.

The moment you start riding beyond your active recovery zone you're putting a load on your body that it needs to adapt to. That is training, it can be done at a low level, but is training none the less. The moment you go beyond an endurance threshold you're also training. Both of those can be done at very low effort levels, levels where the person in question doesn't need to be aware of them. This is where the default state of knackerdness comes in. This is the level that you normally train to, at some point you'll hit a brick wall where your exertion level only maintains rather than increases your fitness, strength, endurance or any combination of those 3. The fact you've taken so much offence to the statement shows you're a clown with an agenda in this case because it was nothing more than a distillation of a statement into it's true meaning. I didn't push the fact people should train properly only that they aren't motivated to do it. If they're not motivated to train properly then that's their choice.

Look up the definition of training. You don't understand it.

Also, I'd suggest doing a poll on CC and ask whether people train whilst riding.

I haven't taken offence. It's called questioning someone's word on the internet. However I won't be taking any advice from you.

400bhp

Guru
Sprint training is pushing hard enough to deplete your ATP reserves in a few seconds. This training causes your body to make bigger ATP reserves & develops the muscle fibres associated with very high output.

Hill training is developing higher maximal blood oxygen levels & at the higher end of the performance scale more tolerance to acidic power production in the correct muscle fibres.

Your ability to use gobbledygook is astounding.

Top Bottom