Hills - Bum off or on seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Been thinking about this, I do mostly spin up, but if it's over 15% I'll tend to get out of the saddle as I find that a bit more comfortable.

mgs315

I know this is OT, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere on the London to Brighton route that's particularly steep. There's basically only three lumps: Over the North Downs in the South of London, where you ascend the dip (gentle) side of the escarpment. Then there's the Western edge of the High Weald at Turners Hill, but that's not steep. Then there's the South Downs - which is the Beacon - which has a maximum gradient of about 12% ish 16%, You could wilfully sneak off and find some short steep climbs near Ardingly if you were so minded.

Aye there’s nothing steep on L2B, the only sort of hill to speak of is Ditchling Beacon. Nice simple ride really. I was merely wheelspinning for the fun of it on the slightly greasy roads by deliberately getting my weight distribution all wrong :tongue:.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's more to it than that. Standing up you are supporting and moving your entire bodyweight, whereas sitting down the only moving parts are your legs, and about 2/3rds of your weight is supported passively by the bike. There's an aerodynamic advantage too, albeit more and more minor the slower you go.
Well you're supporting your entire bodyweight regardless of whether you're seated or standing. I agree with the moving your body bit. The point I'm making is that even if, whilst standing, you can keep your upper body still, you have to rock your pelvis and that's inherently less efficient. Also agree on the aero point (although at my uphill speeds this is a moot point)

MikeG

Guru
Well you're supporting your entire bodyweight regardless of whether you're seated or standing.......

How so? At least, you aren't using any muscle strength to support the bulk of your weight when you are sitting down, other than in holding your posture.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
When I was 15, my idea was to save Energy On the uphill section so you can pedal hard in the down hill section. I got upto 43Mph on a downhill in Riddlesdown survey om my £120 Mountain bike Back in 1996. A speed I've not yet beaten some 22 years later and counting.

Siclo

Veteran
The point I'm making is that even if, whilst standing, you can keep your upper body still, you have to rock your pelvis and that's inherently less efficient.

Not sure that holds, I seen a few studies like this that seem to conclude

This result means that, although standing creates more stress on the aerobic and cardiovascular system, it does not necessarily cause a decrease in efficiency itself. So standing is not going to cost more energy to perform when you factor in the greater power that you are generating

There are a number of caveats in the study regarding rider weight/athleticism but a recent one I read that used a range of builds in real world examples came to the same conclusion.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

Aye there’s nothing steep on L2B, the only sort of hill to speak of is Ditchling Beacon. Nice simple ride really. I was merely wheelspinning for the fun of it on the slightly greasy roads by deliberately getting my weight distribution all wrong :tongue:.
Not sure my friend would agree with you lol, she took 8hrs to complete it, cried, walked, thought of giving up.......................but completed it!!:wahhey:She said it didn't just have the 4 main hills, but the first 20 miles was nothing but hills:eek: She said it was the worst thing she had ever done!

Siclo

Veteran
Thanks for posting that

standing is not going to cost more energy to perform when you factor in the greater power that you are generating.

Interesting. Maybe I should stand more. But wait ...

Another caveat is that all the subjects in the study were young, lean, and light, averaging 67 kilograms. For bigger riders with more weight to support, the efficiency and economy equations might be tilted in favor of sitting.

Oh, right you are (sigh). :sad:

I did say there were caveats, unfortunately I can't find the study (google-fu failure) that got the same results with riders up to 80kg. Does that help?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There's an article in this months Cycling + about improving climbing. Had a quick scan through as someone left a copy on a table at work, but maybe someone else who has a copy can quote exactly what was said?
Apparently previous studies showed that lighter/smaller riders were better standing up climbs & heavier/bigger rides were better sat whilst climbing, but studies have now found it depends on your muscle type as to whether you are suited to standing or seated whilst climbing. So basically do whichever suits you :okay:

Hypocriterium

Yes it is. But not impossible. Like all climbs, take it easy, focus on steady breathing and a low gear and let your body settle, then see how you feel.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
There's an article in this months Cycling + about improving climbing. Had a quick scan through as someone left a copy on a table at work, but maybe someone else who has a copy can quote exactly what was said?
Apparently previous studies showed that lighter/smaller riders were better standing up climbs & heavier/bigger rides were better sat whilst climbing, but studies have now found it depends on your muscle type as to whether you are suited to standing or seated whilst climbing. So basically do whichever suits you :okay:
Makes sense. Legendary climbers are nearly always pictured honking: think Pantani, Robert Millar, Contador. Rouleurs do sit and spin up the hills. Without claiming either talent - I find it helps to honk into the start of the climb, it's easier to maintain pace and cadence than regain it. Also a good idea to drop the front ring early - it's more difficult to change under hard pressure. Then I settle into a pace I can maintain for most of the climb, only standing again to sprint over the top. Well that last part doesn't always happen!

Top Bottom