Hills - Bum off or on seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skibird

Hi All,

I'm trying to improve my confidence and ability up hills but really struggle to stay seated on any hills, which I'm working on. What works best for you and why (fitness, ability, preference)?

Thanks

Bev

KneesUp

Guru
Short sharp hills - keep in the gear I'm in and stand up if needed.

Long draggy hills - get in what I anticipate is the correct gear at the bottom and grind up seated.

Standing uses more energy overall because you have to support your weight as well, but it's better for sudden bursts of power because you can use some of your mass to put more force on the pedals (but you are supporting all of your mass, so overall it's less efficient)

Doing whatever suits you is best though. When I first got back on a bike a few years ago, hills on my commute I now barely notice were stand-up thrashing away with all my effort hills. You will get there is you stick with it!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
bit of a combo for me, carry a much speed / momentum as I can into a hill and gradually change down the gears keeping a reasonably high consistent ish cadence. Mainly seated in a long hill, but will do bits standing for a change,/ break.

short hills might end up standing up for second half to maintain as much speed as I can, but standing is more tiring in long run for reasons above.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Mostly seated. Short, steep hills I might get out of the saddle. Tip - change up a gear before getting out of the saddle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I prefer spinning low gears and that is better done sitting down so most of my climbing is done on the saddle.

Very steep (20+%) hills are different. Sometimes it is hard to keep going when sitting down, even using low gears. On super-steep climbs the front wheel can start to lift. Getting out of the saddle and putting more weight forwards can help.

When I was obese I couldn't stand for long anyway because my legs (and back) couldn't cope for more than a few seconds. Nowadays I occasionally climb standing for 20-30 seconds to take the pressure off my bum and to ease my aching back.

gbb

Legendary Member
Short hills, stand and hammer up, recover by backing off a bit and regain breath.
Long hills, use the gears to maintain a spinning cadence.

I used to monitor my rides of say 50 miles when i was really fit and would achieve really quite consistent times/speed.
During a phase when i was trying to get faster i started attacking the hills (not big ones) and recover as above for a few hundred yards perhaps, then push on again. This method saw a quite noticeable increase in overall speed.

Top Bottom