Hills - Bum off or on seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
During a phase when i was trying to get faster i started attacking the hills (not big ones) and recover as above for a few hundred yards perhaps, then push on again. This method saw a quite noticeable increase in overall speed.
In one of the Obree films, I remember him using a really high gear on hills as part of his training.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
S

Skibird

Lol, you guys do make me smile :biggrin:. I find it really hard to sit and spin, often thinking it's never ending (hills are often a psychological problem for me), so usually end up standing all the way, and on a pretty steep hill, paying for it at the top (asthma) with burning for a good 10-15 mins (not really breathless for long). I'm only 5'3 and guessing quite light (NEVER weigh myself) and tend to stay in a higher gear for most of my ride, which I don't know is a good or bad thing but like to feel like i'm actually moving. I ride a MTB.

bpsmith

Veteran
I love blasting up to short sharp climbs and trying to get as far up as possible, when out of the saddle. Generally feels more natural to sit for the longer climbs, and far more efficient.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Definitely a plodder here as well, and if that fails, then walk. ^_^

The most efficient way to climb, is by maintaining as many contact points with the bike as possible. Seated climbing is therefore the most efficient way to do it. ‘Most efficient’ doesn’t usually equate to fastest, or most comfortable though. So to get the best balance, remain seated where the gradient is steady, and get out of the saddle in upwards corners / hairpins, and on any bits that ‘step’. If you’re after speed, at any cost, stand up, push your hips forwards, and downwards, and keep your shoulders down, and your head level. It’s not efficient, or particularly comfortable, but it is a way to maximise speed. Watch how Vincenzo Nibali does it, that’s about perfect.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
With me depends on climb and how fatigued I am.

Climb near my brothers house is brutal no idea on the incline but it’s long and sharp, and road is partially covered so almost always damp, I had a looney toons moment on that climb where I was getting zero traction was almost on the spot wheel spinning but getting no where, so had to sit and lean back.

I like climbs but avoid that evil one now.

si_c

Guru
I used to stay in the highest gear I could keep turning the pedals in whilst standing up, now I tend to get into a low gear and keep my legs turning at a comfortable pace. I find that I'm no slower either way up a hill, but in terms of perceived effort, low gears and low torque is much much easier.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom