Hills I can play on round South Brum / North Worcestershire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

Can any of you recommend some hills to climb when I have early finishes at work? I did The Holloway up to Rowney Green, and Icknield Street at Weatheroak yesterday. I vary between the A441 at Hopwood and Wast Hill Lane on my commute. I quite like the feeling of getting over the horizon and being able to go "wheeeeee" once the summit had been mastered. I want more..... <foams at mouth in anticipation>

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If it's not too far away for you, there are absolutely loads of hilly bits around Bewdley and to the north of Kidderminster.

Chris S

Legendary Member
You can do a circuit of Fordhouse Lane, Cartland Rd and Pershore Rd if you're not far from the Stirchley/Kings Heath area.

Popes Lane and Parsons Hill, Kings Norton, are also both steep and only a mile or two apart.

D

Deleted member 1258

You can do a circuit of Fordhouse Lane, Cartland Rd and Pershore Rd if you're not far from the Stirchley/Kings Heath area.

Popes Lane and Parsons Hill, Kings Norton, are also both steep and only a mile or two apart.
i do the bearwood / cricket ground / kings heath/ cartland rd/ selly oak/ harbourne loop
somme nice cardio bits either way.
Lickey is a challenge i have yet to face !

D

Deleted member 1258

i do the bearwood / cricket ground / kings heath/ cartland rd/ selly oak/ harbourne loop
somme nice cardio bits either way.
Lickey is a challenge i have yet to face !

Clicking on the summery tab on the route I linked to on this thread takes you to the elevation chart which has twin peaks on it.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
If you go to lickey, have a crack at Rose Hill, that will make you not like hills!!! Others are the 4 different approaches to the top of Romsley Hill, the Bromsgrove -> Fairfield -> Catshill climb, Going east out of Alvechruch.....there's loads. Have and explore on Strava.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Romsley has three great climbs up to it - from Grange Hill Roundabout, up Farley Lane, and for those that are tired of life, Windwood Heath Road.
St Kenelm's pass also has three good climbs - St Kenelm's Pass itself from Holy Cross, Hagley Wood Road and Uffmore Lane. Has the advantage of Nimmings NT Car Park at the top - good views and good food.

Weatheroak Hill is a good alternative to Icknield Street.

Lickey Hills - either way is good. From Catshill end it is a long slog, from Rednal its one fierce hill that gets steeper the further you go, with no respite at all until the top. And down is great both ways - either serious high speed, head down, long distance down to Catshill, or keep primary and take the big bends down to Rednal. You should be doing 40 which is the speed limit here, so be bold and only let cars past if they are desparate.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Alternatively, go through Barnt Green and up to Lickey Hills along Twatling Road. This is quite a challenge if you insist on completing the entire climb with a school-boy smirk spread across your face. This is how User likes to do it, IIRC.

D

Deleted member 1258

Alternatively, go through Barnt Green and up to Lickey Hills along Twatling Road. This is quite a challenge if you insist on completing the entire climb with a school-boy smirk spread across your face. This is how User likes to do it, IIRC.

Thats my usual route, either to the Lickey Hills Country park or on to the Wasely Hills Country Park, Fiery Hill Rd on to Twatling Rd and either turn off for the park or onto Monument Lane then turn right at the top and down Beacon Rd.

Top Bottom