Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im 54 in a couple of weeks - Ive always been a pretty crap cyclist, probably due to my lungs. I do (or did) pride myself on always getting over even the steepest of hills ...like 20% .....Im not fast but I always get there...

Anyway I stumbled on an unknown - but absolute monster of hill - it was a very tight narrow and small lane- I was blowing and groaning like nobodies business - then I spotted someones driveway sadly I bottled it and got off .......part of it was fear of car coming the other way - the road was just to damm narrow - and I didn't fancy ending up on my arse...

My question is at 54 is it dangerous to push yourself when your feel your heart coming out of your jersey ?

I tend to push myself quite hard, but at times just have a feeling that it's just not right and back off.
I've done a few Holmfirth runs lately and had to bail out of one part of the climb a few times, so my answer is that if it starts to feel wrong, then back off.

For my own safety I'd welcome a medical opinion!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Had it been a wide open road and I could see the top I reckon I could have made it (easy to say now!!!!) - but it was not knowing how long it went on for ....and I had encounted a few cars on narrow roads earlier in the day......

byegad

Legendary Member
I was never a good climber, too fat to ever trouble anyone on hills IMHO. At 54 I did give myself enough work to get me hot, sweaty and out of breath at the top of big hills*, now at 66, and getting back into my normal riding after a 10 month layoff due to a really bad chest infection I'm giving myself far less of a workout on any kind of hill even a gentle slope. Hopefully next year I can get back to my previous hill climbing technique of going hard enough to be out of breath on bigger hills.

Around here big is anything of 20% and steeper.

Sharky

Guru
Can't remember 13 years back, but I still push myself as hard as I can. The body's natural defense mechanisms kick in and stop you going to extreme efforts.

Hence you go a bit slower and not as far and might need a lower gear.

Team carbon

Regular
Maybe use a heart monitor and know your limits I tend to have a push anything over 180 bpm especially climbing leath hill it doesn't take to long to drop back down

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I was in easiest the gear and standing up ! - the cadence was of course very low - but as fast as I could muster - I'm just gutted I got off !

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been doing the same hills for years and my aim (at 48) is to go faster and faster.
I know I can beat my best time of last year because I know I ate too much on holiday and I need to shed a few lbs.

So no, i'm not for backing off just yet anyhow.

ozboz

Guru
I am 64 , hills are only a problem on my road bike , it's 20 speed 11-25 , deffo for a fitter of younger rider , however , not to be be out done , I'm having an 11-34 fitted very shortly , then , bring em on !
( hopefully the Gung Ho will not see me off !!)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
There are at least three hills round here that I wouldn't dream of doing because I know I wouldn't be able to. I know my limits and sticks to it. No worth a heart attack.

Top Bottom