Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

pushing really hard isn't going to induce a heart attack. your lungs will not have enough oxygen to continue, and the body will stop said activity.
try and get fitter, and add a bigger cog , but no shame in stopping, or pausing for a moment as i often do :-)

KneesUp

Guru
no shame in stopping, or pausing for a moment as i often do :-)
I was looking at the view ...

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Everyone is different. Don't worry about not being able to get up a certain hill if you have to walk, then so be it.

pushing really hard isn't going to induce a heart attack. your lungs will not have enough oxygen to continue, and the body will stop said activity.
And you got your medical degree where?

Ride London:
2014: 36 year old male, cardiac arrest
2015: 55 year old male, cardiac arrest
2016: 48 year old male, cardiac arrest
2017: 67 year old male, cardiac arrest

I'm not saying the risk is huge, and I don't know if any of these people would have survived the year out if they had not done the ride, or indeed if cycling gave them a longer life than they would have had, but you can't just say there is no risk of dying from exertion cycling.

I agree with most of the other posters. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to keep pushing it but feel concerned, then talk to you GP.

Disclaimer: I know cardiac arrest and heart attack aren't the same thing.

S-Express

And you got your medical degree where?

Ride London:
2014: 36 year old male, cardiac arrest
2015: 55 year old male, cardiac arrest
2016: 48 year old male, cardiac arrest
2017: 67 year old male, cardiac arrest

I'm not saying the risk is huge, and I don't know if any of these people would have survived the year out if they had not done the ride, or indeed if cycling gave them a longer life than they would have had, but you can't just say there is no risk of dying from exertion cycling.

I agree with most of the other posters. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to keep pushing it but feel concerned, then talk to you GP.

Disclaimer: I know cardiac arrest and heart attack aren't the same thing.

A bit unfair to criticise someone for making a medically unqualified statement and then doing precisely the same thing yourself. You have no idea of the medical histories of those individuals without studying coroners' reports or other related information.

A bit unfair to criticise someone for making a medically unqualified statement and then doing precisely the same thing yourself. You have no idea of the medical histories of those individuals without studying coroners' reports or other related information.
No, and I have no idea of the OPs medical history or access to his coroners report**.

All I was doing was saying that it is not impossible to have your heart stopped due to exertion.

**sorry, @kingrollo - hope you realise i am trying to be light hearted.

gbb

Legendary Member
My biggest concern is running out of legs before running out of hill and being unable to unclip!
We don't really have hills here but I remember once turning round a bend as I was carrying some speed. ..to be confronted by a short sharp hill...the worst I've seen round here.
I attacked it....uurrrrgh, half way up I'd nearly ground to a halt and thought 'jesus how the heck am I going to unclip'.
I fought on and made it...but only only just.

IBarrett

Über Member
Hills are a strange thing. Some of our fastest club riders avoid them like the plague and struggle with them. I love them, see them as a challenge and possibly because of that I'm pretty good at climbing,

Look at techniques for climbing if you really want to improve. Shifting your position rests certain muscles and makes a difference. Standing is bloody hard work and inefficient so should be done in bursts.

Get lower gears and use them. If you have a spare wheel you could try a different cassette on that and go for a play.

All this is if you WANT to climb hills quickly.
If you're happy plodding or even walking up that's OK because you're out there doing what you love and should enjoy doing it.
Personally, I enjoy torturing myself

I'm 54, 13st 5lb and been riding almost 2 years

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am much older than the op and just spin up hills and get off for 2 foot gear if cannot turn the pedals. I get different advice from various doctors which seems to depend if they know anything about cycling or not. Having said that I have been heart scanned and have slight aortic stenosis but nobody seems unduly concerned. My advice would be to get checked out anyway. If no reason for the problem is found it is just down to lack of fitness for the hills tackled.

Reactions: mjr

Oldfentiger

Veteran
18 months ago I was puffing like an old steam engine and failing to crest most of the climbs around here. I went and got checked out, had some tests and was diagnosed mild asthmatic.
I tried the inhaler and found it didn't help so binned it and just persevered with the hills.
Fast forward to now. I'm 20 lbs lighter and have conquered all of the toughest climbs in my locality. Asthmatic my @rse. It was just a fitness issue.
On the subject of heart rate, the climbs that were defeating me had me up in the high 180s. Same climbs I now am in the 150s and hardly blowing.
I'll be 65 in October

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
18 months ago I was puffing like an old steam engine and failing to crest most of the climbs around here. I went and got checked out, had some tests and was diagnosed mild asthmatic.
I tried the inhaler and found it didn't help so binned it and just persevered with the hills.
Fast forward to now. I'm 20 lbs lighter and have conquered all of the toughest climbs in my locality. Asthmatic my @rse. It was just a fitness issue.
On the subject of heart rate, the climbs that were defeating me had me up in the high 180s. Same climbs I now am in the 150s and hardly blowing.
I'll be 65 in October

If you are mastering the hills around Pendle you are doing well. I live in Southport and do most of my cycling around S. W. Lancs and Merseyside which is a very flat area. My wife and I occasionally have a trip out to the Pendle / Bowland area and to say the hills there are challenging compared to here is an understatement.

I was speaking to an old schoolmate a couple of years ago, who now lives up that way and reckons that, as a result of cycling round there for many years, he can breeze up most hills, but isn't too quick sprinting in flat areas - maybe its a case of how your body trains itself in its usual environment?

Round here, you have to get out towards Parbold / Wigan before meeting anything resembling a real hill, and about a year ago, I started going that way deliberately to improve my "hill skill". I have noticed an improvement and I would say consistently challenging yourself without over-exerting yourself will bring improvement.

P.S. How did you lose the 20lbs, was it a deliberate thing, or a side effect of your cycling? I only ask because despite my cycling, I still carry quite a bit of excess weight.

Top Bottom