Hills - Should you back off as you get older ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What my GP implies is that its peak flow technique as I wouldn't be doing what I do with an actual PF of 300 !
This is well outside my knowledge (my asthma in remission at the moment, and I've never had to monitor flows) but this sounds like nonsense. (S)he's administering a test, and then just ignoring the results. It sounds to me (not a doctor!) that the rest of your CV system must be in stonking shape, as you have the normal lung capacity of an 85 year old woman according to a chart I found online. But it's also with the normal range of a short women your age, and short mid fifties women can conquer hills so it's not impossible to be able to ride a bike, just a lot less than you are capable of.

Ring the number for Asthma UK. Apparently it's manned by asthma nurses, who will be able to clarify what could be going on and what you should do.

reacher

Just getting peoples thoughts. If its winding u up choose another thread - no disrespect intended.

I don't know the risk - hence Im asking - hence the variety of replies

Its listed at 10% - but for quite long sections its 17-18% - As I say I think part of the problem was the narrow road - if a car came either way - Id be off - I wouldn't have time to unclip.
I run a 25 rear sprocket - but have ordered a 28 - see how that goes. Another question I can't see how to train for such a hill without riding such a hill ! - most of my rides include 2500ft of elevation - but does doing lesser hills prepare (to any great extent) for steeper hills

Why would it wind me up, I'm not the one asking if it's going to kill me red lining, the answer is yes it's possible to do that. What you should be asking is why can't I get up it in a reasonable state and the answer to that is for your current level of ability your useing the wrong gearing

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Why would it wind me up, I'm not the one asking if it's going to kill me red lining, the answer is yes it's possible to do that. What you should be asking is why can't I get up it in a reasonable state and the answer to that is for your current level of ability your useing the wrong gearing

you sound irritated - weakness of the written word I suppose. no problem.
Yes - Ive been pondering changing the sprocket for some time - its on order now

S-Express

First off its a completely pointless thing to do, the upshot is your red lining at an age that's dangerous to do so,

This is simply just alarmist nonsense. Hitting mhr at age 54 (or any other age) is perfectly safe if your heart is healthy, as any cardiologist will tell you. No idea why you think otherwise.

Hundreds/thousands of 'older' racing cyclists do this every day, ffs.

toontra

Veteran
I'm 62 & started cycling as a sport 11 years ago. I can ride up hills faster now than I could at 51 (or any time previously). Being unable to climb a particular hill without stopping, or being overtaken, were my motivators to get fitter. I train on a local loop of all the steepest climbs combined. I am now rarely overtaken on hills by anyone of any age (descending is another matter) and on audaxes, sportives, etc I can judge my hill-climbing ability directly against others.

I monitor my heart rate on most rides but not out of concern - just for curiosity. The fitter I am the lower my heart rate stays for the same effort and the faster it reduces. I had my heart checked out with a scan several years ago just to make sure there wasn't a latent problem - seemed like a sensible precaution.

Age is certainly not a limiting factor for me - in fact the reverse. I just see it as another challenge.

reacher

This is simply just alarmist nonsense. Hitting mhr at age 54 (or any other age) is perfectly safe if your heart is healthy, as any cardiologist will tell you. No idea why you think otherwise.

Hundreds/thousands of 'older' racing cyclists do this every day, ffs.
Really, so those squash players I used to see dropping dead on the court were dying of tiredness ? Feel free to test your theory on yourself then. On the training point what I'm saying is you could more effectively train to climb that hill in other ways with a better result than just trying to ride up it and failing

S-Express

Really, so those squash players I used to see dropping dead on the court were dying of tiredness ? Feel free to test your theory on yourself then.

Can't believe you're equating deaths on squash courts and somehow drawing what you think is a valid parallel. Those people didn't die because they were in their 50s, they died because their hearts were diseased or otherwise congenitally defective. Go along to any veterans' squash tournament and witness many players in their 50s, 60s and beyond playing squash and - crucially - not dieing.

As for myself, I raced well into my 50s and I know many others older than me still training at a high intensity and still racing. And it's not my 'theory', incidentally - it happens to be scientific fact. The nice thing about facts is that they remain true, regardless of how much you might like to disagree with them.

Top Bottom